Thursday, February 24, 2011

Things Loved in February

A little early this month, but I had my 5 ready to go.

1. Three Sisters

And no, I'm talking about mine...(Although I love you all too). This "earth friendly" (=minimal packaging and processing) line of breakfast food is AMAZING. We got hooked on the cereal when it was on mega sale at whole foods and now it's a staple in our pantry. I eat it before bed most nights (as I've started having to eat more to keep up with Louise's ridiculous demand for milk...i'm starting to remember why we started supplementing Ainsley with formula at 6 months). We have also tried the instant oatmeal and it great too. I love the little packages and the fill line for water because I'm definitely one of those people who just adds whatever amount I'm feeling at the time and hopes it turns out. I highly recommend this stuff!




2. Earth Science

I know Ian in particular will be disappointed that I am not referring to an academic discipline but a new face care line I stumbled across at Whole Foods. I was actually on the look out for a vegan, GOOD, not crazy expensive face regimine after going to an Arbonne party at a friend's house and being impressed with the products but depressed at how much it cost. I'm sure it's not quite as good but I've used it for a week now and LOVE it. Plus my whole regimine costs $50 (very comparable to products at Target), not $200!!!



I feel like I've reached a point where I need to do more with my skin than wash it every other day in the shower. I'd purchased my first night cream about a month ago (Aveeno) and really haven't been impressed (and it cost the same as this new stuff!). The earth science line is all natural and vegan (except Beeswax in a few products which I'm not concerned about). It smells great and feels oh so nice.
For specifics: I purchased the A-D-E creamy cleanser, Almond-Aloe moisturizer, Abricot intensive night cream and Azulene Eye Treatment (for those lovely dark circles my adorable daughters have given me). I will most likely go back and get a toner as I learned at the Arbonne party that it's important to use but I'm happy with the results as is!

3. Patagonia Fleece(s)

I have been taking advantage of the end of winter sales and scored fleeces for both Louise and myself at less than 1/2 the cost. My foray into the Patagonia obsession started with a thin black fleece I found at our local consingment shop when we first moved here. I LOVED it, still so soft end comfy even after who knows how many people had worn it (and for how long!). When the zipper broke I was devestated. No way could I afford a new one. Same deal with Louise's fleece. I'd found a 6 month size at my favorite kids thrift store and both girls have been kept toasty warm it in, but we were approaching spring without a 12 month size for Louise and I was bumming that she'd grown out of it. Thankfully REI had AMAZING sales that I jumped all over. I got Louise's new fleece for $17 (originally $35) and mine for $65 (originally $139). I used birthday money for mine and Louise's came easily out of our household monthly budget. I know Louise will most likely grow out of hers before fall, but we have at least one more girl cousin on the way and I know mine will last me for years and years. I LOVE Patagonia fleeces!



P.S. We have also bought Colombia fleeces for the girls and they are equally amazing, just no hood which I like for those colder spring/fall days.

4. Rachel Ray Casseroles

Not the recipes, but the dishes...AMAZING! I got a full sized casserole dish a few years back from my sister for Christmas and that same amazing sister got me a set of 4 individual casserole dishes for my birthday this year. My mom evened out the set with two 20 oz casseroles. I LOVE these new sizes, especially for our little family of 2.5 eaters. It lets me make 1/2 recipes easily and what's more fun than eating out of your own casserole dish? Plus they're portion friendly at 10 oz each. Ian can eat the other half of Ainsley's and I can have my one, and we're all happy...until I scarf cereal later (see number 1).


5. The Kindle
I'd thought about writing a whole separate post for this, but I think a bullet in my "things loved" will suffice.
I got the kindle, rather unexpectedly, for Christmas. I have to say I was a bit reticent at first. I LOVE books. Their smell, the feel of them, worn pages after a good read...the whole shebang.

But now, I LOVE the kindle. Not only is it much more "green" then buying paperback after paperback (that will most likely spend the rest of its life on the shelf) but the print is much easier on my eyes than I thought it would be, and the kindle versions are typically much less expensive than a paperback. I can try a sample of a book before I buy it which is probably my favorite feature. I tried a sample for our next book club book and decided it was definitely not something I want to spend money on, so I'm on the waiting list at the library instead. On the flip side I started a sample of a book I LOVED and am now going to buy a hard copy rather than the kindle version so I can have it forever. AND since Ian has a kindle we can share ebooks, in theory...while our marriage is wonderful it is definitely not based on our similar interests in reading material :o) PLUS I am really excited to bring it to Florida with me in the place of the 2-3 hardbacks I usually bring with, SUCH a space saver!

In short, I'm a total Kindle convert.


1 comment:

  1. Okay -- now you have to post recipes for the casseroles! :) Inquiring moms want to know. You are such a culinary whiz!

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.