Tuesday, February 22, 2011

It's Done!

Less than 24 hours after seeing an adorable, but WAY too expensive, skirt online for Ainsley and saying to myself "I could totally do that" it's finished!

It was a cotton reversible skirt with side pockets retailing for $52, even on sale at $17.99 (plus the $5.99 shipping) it was just too much. $25-ish dollars for a 1/4 yard of fabric and some elastic? "I could totally make that!"

::the ridiculously expensive and equally adorable culprit::

Plus, I already had some super cute fabric fresh from the store from when my mom was visiting and I was determined to teach myself to applique on tshirts (until I realized that my "vintage" machine doesn't do a zig zag stitch and I had to revamp my plan).

Ainsley helped me pick out which prints she wanted, I measured her waist for the elastic, called my mom for moral support (and to double check a few finer points) and went for it. After a surprisingly few number of seams ripped out and "aw man, I can't believe I did that!"s the basic skirt was done. After trying it on her this morning for the hem length and adding the pockets during naptime it was complete! If I do say so myself, it turned our pretty well.


::100% reversible skirt::


And now to almost completely digress:

It's moments like last night when I know I'm a true "crafter" at heart.

Crafting is in my blood. I feel closer to my mom, my aunt, my grandma and my great grandma (who I never met but have heard so much about) every time I paint, knit, sew, or really do anything with my hands.

I recently started a book How to Sew a Button: and other nifty things your grandmother knew. I LOVE this book. The writing is hilarious and I must say I love how the recipes and instructions are written. You can almost hear your grandma speaking as you read the pages.

I'm lucky to have grown up with DIY parents: a dad who taught us how to change a tire, solder minor electronics, build a shortwave radio, and basic carpentry skills and a mom who taught me to knit at 8 years old, sew my own clothes for my american girl dolls, cook a mean casserole, make perfect hospital corners, and be oh so thrifty.

This book makes me realize that perhaps I have taken for granted what I have been taught and that there are many people who don't share this same "basic" knowledge.

What prompted the writer to author this book is that she mistook swiss chard for rhubard and ruined a homemade pie. She was embarrassed by her lack of "basic" homemaking knowledge and wanted to explore more.

While I love the book (and have decided to purchase a hard copy rather than get the ebook on my kindle so I can underline and earmark) I kind of disagree with her assessment of our generation. I don't believe that we are a bunch of helpless corporate yuppies who know nothing about good hard work and household skills.

I am surrounded by women (and men too) who are the ultimate homemakers. Not just making meals and ends meet, but cooking from scratch, decorating with creativity, and creating with vigor and innovation for their loved ones.

I am sure that there are a vast number of young adults who don't know how to do their own laundry or roast a chicken, but I don't know many of them.

I am proud to be a part of this resurgence of do-it-yourselfers. There is something so amazing about having a vision and having it realized through your own hard work. I am excited to keep learning new things, new ways to create. Feel free to lay any ideas on me! I'm always looking for somethings new to try.

P.S. Ian is currently determined to find a Fred Rogers sweater pattern out there for me to make him. If you run into one please send it my way :o).


Some portraits to end by:
::Ainsley, the ever dresser upper:

::my sweet sweet Louise, overalls and all::

3 comments:

  1. The skirt is SO cute! You did a wonderful job and I am sure Ainsley and eventually Louise will spend countless hours twirling in it. Fun, fun, fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! SOO cute! I don't have kids yet but I want to make a skirt like that! :) I agree DIY craftiness is so fun...I just need more time ;)
    Love ya,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here, here!
    Thank you for mentioning this book which I just bought and mentioning the art of hand made things. I was so lucky to spend so much time with my grandparents and learn the art of gardening, canning, frugality, mending, etc. Your Mom has also been a huge roll model for me with her sewing and family recipes. I now make PJs for the whole family and stray friends every year. It is our job to pass this knowledge on and teach our children a lesson of value vs. cost. cheaply made mass manufactured things are exactly that but every knot in a knitting project was made with thought, pride and love. Which would you rather adorn you? Great post babe!

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.