Monday, February 21, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me

How does a weekend that started like this:

::sweet snuggle sister time::
end with this:
::AGHHHH!!!!:

Needless to say it was an interesting, trying, and ultimately fabulous birthday weekend.

The weekend started well, amazing actually. A relaxing Saturday thanks to a well prepared Friday night followed by a great night spent with good friends, food, DESSERT, and sidecars (a great new cocktail we tried).

It reminded me of college. I so miss being social, effortless conversation with old friends. The girl went to bed without adieu affording us ample time to enjoy our company.

It is such a rare occasion for us to get together with friends. The girls' pre-8pm bedtimes make nights out tough for us, and not having a babysitter yet makes it impossible. Saturday night confirmed for me that it's time. I love my daughters but after two years with a mere handful of evenings "off" it's time. I'm ready to find someone we trust to watch our little dumplings while Ian and I remind ourselves of who we used to be before children.

For some silly reason I used to pride myself on not "needing" that special alone time with Ian, and with old friends. I thought it was part of the lot of the parent, giving up everything for your children. For some reason this weekend it really hit me how much we need more nights like that.

Perhaps it was the much needed respite on Saturday night that abled us to deal with Sunday and all that it brought.

::the perfect representation of the chaos of the day::

The day started on 4 hours of sleep when Ainsley errupted at 4:30am convinced that it was time to "go downstairs, watcha mistow wogas". While she quieted briefly after much convincing she never went back to sleep and Ian got up with her at 6. Then Louise started to fuss (she almost NEVER fusses). After I fed her Ian took her downstairs too (bless his heart, he let the birthday girl sleep in)

When I emerged from upstairs to "Happy Dirthday to YOU Momma!" from Ainsley, I thought that all was remedied.

Nope.

Ainsley was in one of the most cantankerous moods I've ever seen her in. She whined, cried, screamed and fought ALL DAY LONG.

Even Louise was "under the weather", fussing, screaming even, more than she ever has. I kept kissing her forehead to make sure she wasn't feverish, rubbing my thumb over her gums to check for a tooth breaking through. Nothing.

::if you look closely you'll see the tears collecting down the side of her face, thankfully I was able to distract her enough to get a smile out of her::

Even so the day wasn't a complete wash. We had many wonderful moments.

Like this one:

And this one too:

Somehow Ian managed to make a cake and homemade palak paneer. We had a successful breakfast out and Ainsley delighted in helping me rip open presents.



Now if only she were this interested in her sweet potatoes and peas.


The day had everything that a wonderful birthday should have. It was good, just long and tiring. While I ended the day exhausted on the couch watching an odd film with Ian I was struck by how insanely fortunate I am. He didn't complain once about the terror that was the day. He was calm and determined to make it great.

And you know what? It was.

It's been an amazing 27 years.

2 comments:

  1. 1) Happy Birthday! B) Louise is looking ADORABLE. Her little face is getting so mature! iii) You look FABULOUS. I'm so jealous of your exercise video times. Lily will only nap on my lap and I'm a huge weather wimp. You've inspired me to go for a walk/jog each day no matter what the weather. Finally, hooray for a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a great birthday weekend! Both of your girls are absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.