Wednesday, February 2, 2011

SnOMG 2.1.11-2.2.11

I've both loved and loathed the past two days.

I loved having Ian home early yesterday just inching out the blizzard's onset at 2pm. I loved hunkering down in our house with a fresh batch of pumpkin chocolate chip muffins in the oven, wafting good comforting smells through our 75 degree home (I was paranoid that the power and by extension HEAT would go out so I jacked up the temp in the event that it did). I loved, at first, watching the windy snow fall feeling thankful for our safe warm home, and each others' company.

Around 7 pm I started not loving it so much, the blizzard that is. The wind's howl was unlike anything I've heard. I kept obsessively checking the weather reports online and on tv hoping that we were through the worst (we were ALWAYS right in the thick of it). I skipped bookclub because the thought of leaving my safe haven, even for a 1/2 block sojourn seemed crazy hard. I felt trapped and panicked. I kept hearing creaks in our old house, slowly convincing me that the roof was going to cave in on us. At one point the lights flickered and my hear sunk. Here we go. My mind left me "No power, downed lines, two tiny girls totally dependent on us to keep them safe and fed and WARM! who knows how long it would take to get fixed".

Thank God for Ian.

He truly is my rock. Last night in the midst of my panic and sleeplessness I rolled over and looked into his calm eyes, snuggled into his safe chest and laughed out "how does this work?" meaning us of course. While I lay awake paralyzed with fear Ian opened our bedroom blinds to marvel at the power of the storm. "This is awesome" he said. When I snapped "how can you not be worried!" he calmly replied "I'll worry when I need to."

We really couldn't be more different sometimes.

While his sentiment didn't rub off entirely (I still couldn't get to sleep until exhaustion hit at 2am) I get his point. Why waste a perfectly good snow day (and night!) worrying and scurrying when, as it turns out, the power did NOT go off, the roof did NOT cave in and here we are all safe and sound and snowed in on the other side (with bellies full of homemade calzone and brownies to boot!)

We spent the day taking turns digging out from the 2 feet of snow encapsulating us. We can now get both cars out (in theory) and walk out the front door. The back porch to the garage is another story entirely. We both hit our limit at an hour of shoveling each. I'll be lucky if I can move tomorrow. Poor Ian is under the weather with a terrible cold and didn't complain once.

It's times like these when I know why I married him all over again. We are such a good team. I get over prepared (There is a 5 gallon pail of water sitting in our powder room "just in case") and Ian has the level head. There's no one else I'd rather be snowed in with. (And Ainsley running around screaming "Mommy, can't hear you!" and Louise babbling away aren't so bad either).

A few photo nuggets of our snow day(s)

::Must be a little under the weather still, so snuggly post-nap::

::"Umm, Hey!"::

::Always a dance party::

::All smiles, as per usual :o)::

::If you look closely there's a little girl in the window DESPERATE to get out in that knee deep (shoulder deep on her) snow::

::Operation DIG US OUT take 1! (of 3)::

::No, our neighbor did NOT offer to use that glorious snow plow on our driveway, I must have looked more capable than I was::

::plowed out, dark, calm, still pretty darn snowed in and beautiful::

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.