Saturday, May 7, 2011

New Recipes You MUST Try

The title says it all. Here are some new gems I've found over the past couple of weeks.

Brown Sugar Cookies from America's Test Kitchen

How did I live 27 years without knowing of their existence? I am a cookie fiend and these are some of the best I've had. Even Ian wanted to eat them like chips and was saddened when he realized I'd beat him to it so I had to make a second batch in one week. They are that good.

10 T + 4 T butter
2 cups flours
1/2 t. each baking soda and powder
1/4. each brown and white sugar (for topping)
1 3/4. c dark brown sugar
1 T. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
1 egg + 1 yolk

Melt 10 T butter in a skillet and stir until just turning brown. Remove from heat and at 4 T. more butter and let cool slightly.
Meanwhile mix flour, baking soda and powder. In separate bowl mix topping. In yet another bowl mix dark brown sugar, vanilla, salt and eggs. Add cooled melted butter and combine. Slowly incorprate dry ing. Form into 24 balls and roll in topping. Place on parchement papered baking sheet and bake at 350 for 12-14 min. Err on the side of less time to make sure the cookies are nice and chewy. Let cool 5 min and then move to cooling rack.
You won't regret making these!

Ham and Sweet Potato Hash, adapted from Epicurious

I still have way too much leftover Easter ham and was trying to think of something to make for dinner with it the other night. I had a vague idea that I wanted to use ham and sweet potatoes, but not quite sure how to execute. A quick google search led me to this recipe and we loved it!

1 1/2 cups cubed ham and peeled cube sweet potato (each)
1 chopped onion
olive oil
salt and pepper
dijon mustard
4 eggs

Heat oil in nonstick skillet and add potatoes. Cover and let cook 8-10 min, stirring occasionally until starting to soften and brown. Add onions, ham, mustard, and salt and pepper and continue to cook until potatoes are soft and everything is good and brown (15-20 min).
Heat separate pan with a dot of butter and fry up the eggs until whites are set and yolk is still runny.
Serve up hash with an egg on top. Break the yolk, sprinkle on some salt and dig in!

I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.