Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Best Hamburger I've Ever Made

Seriously, for real...SO good.

I've watched countless cooking shows, episodes of hamburger specific Cooks Country and American's Test Kitchen, all for the goal of making a great hamburger at home. They're either too tough, or not flavorful enough or way too complicated (grinding your own meant ATK? I think not).

Yesterday I was doing some weekend grocery shopping with the girls at Whole Foods and stumbled across an AMAZING meat sale. I bought 4 lbs of 85/15 grass fed ground beef for 3.99/lb. I of course had to make something with it for dinner.

I ditched the recipes and went with my gut and they were the best hamburgers we;ve had at home to date.

The Best Hamburger I've Ever Made

1 lb. really good fresh ground beef (at leat 90/10)
1 piece of white bread, crusts removed, ripped into small pieces
a splash of whole milk
salt and pepper
tomato paste (or ketchup or bbq sauce would work too)
1 onion sliced thin

Start the onion cooking on low with a little butter and olive oil, stirring occassionally until carmelized (this takes a good half hour so make sure to start it well before the burgers)

Mash the bread and milk in a bowl with a fork until well combined and just mushy. Add meat, salt and pepper and tomato paste. Toss lightly with a fork (make sure not to handle too much or mash too tightly, loosely combined is best!) form into 3-4 patties (we made 3 big one and one little Ainsley sized one) Again, make sure not to mash, just lightly form, the cooking will firm up the patty!

Place on preheated griddle or grill pan on high. Cook 5 min, flip, cook 4 min. Let the burgers rest 5 minutes while you butter and brown the buns on the same pan (a very yummy and necessary step).

Construct one DELICIOUS burger. Bun, burger, onions, ketchup and mayo, bun. Enjoy!

I just had to share this since I know how much we've yearned for a good homemade burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.