Thursday, April 7, 2011

Reboot

Today I am smitten.

After a really rough yesterday I resolved, once again, to reboot. This cycle that Ainsley and I have fallen into of good and bad days rotating and flipping is something that I'm realizing I have to accept rather than fight. Yesterday as she requested yet again to laze about I caught myself. Why am I letting my 2 year old dictate our life?

New babies of course dictate EVERYTHING. You form your life around their needs, their schedule. But when do we cut the cord? I decided it was yesterday.

Despite Ainsley's small, easily cured, fever I decided we needed a fresh start today. "Here's what we're doing and here's how it's going to go".

We hopped in the car and took a small adventure this morning. We drove north to a park I've often meant to visit, just out of walking, or jogging, reach.

It was great. Big open running spaces, paths to follow and meander on. A good old fashioned tire swing and metal slide. Ainsley loved it.

After realizing that 47 degrees didn't feel as warm as I thought it would we revamped. "Change of plans" I calmly stated. Ainsley fussed a bit "more play at the park mama" but I just charged ahead with a squirming toddler on my hip and Louise in the Bob.

We circled around looking for the small branch library that we'd visited once before babies were born but I couldn't remember the cross street. Reboot again. We parked and walked to the "big one library" and stumbled across the 2 year old story time slotted to start in 10 minutes. Talk about serendipity.

Ainsley was as calm and attentive as I'd ever seen her. Before entering the library we reviewed library protocol "no runnin away mama, real quiet, no runnin away". You know what? She listened.
For the first time EVER at the library I didn't have to chase Ainsley around once. I sat still and calm with happy Louise on my lap as my big 2 year old girl listened attentively to the stories, sang along with the songs, and did the hand motions and stomping like nobody's business. We picked out 9, yes NINE, books together, came home and read every one. We ended the morning with butterfly cream cheese sandwiches (such a cute toddler finger food project) and more storied before nap.

Just yesterday I was wanting to throw in the towel. Convinced again that my words weren't working, that she wasn't listening or caring.

Turns out it's all sinking in, slowly but surely and my little toddler is growing up into a lovely little lady.

Sometimes I have to catch myself and remind myself that I am the parent. I make the rules and as overwhelming as it is to be "in charge" it's empowering too. Yet again a day is what I make it, what I set out for it to be.

Today is gray and yuck and chilly but we had a great morning anyways.

1 comment:

  1. What a great, positive attitude! Glad you had such a fun morning.

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.