Thursday, April 28, 2011

Rain Rain Go Away

Oh we all feel it in the midwest don't we? This April has been ridiculously cloudy and rainy (and snowy for some). I am struggling today to stay positive and motivated and active for my poor couped up antsy pants daughters. But boy am I trying.

I keep delving into my Toddler Busy Book to find new activities for Ainsley and I to do while Louise snoozes away the morning. We've made Jello Play Dough, rice crispie treats, water colored, pretended in the dollhouse and kitchen, played with bubbles in the sink and read books. We've danced to musikgarten favorites and sang finger songs until I thought I would lose my mind. We've even resurrected starfall.com as Ainsley informed me during her pre-nap stories today that she' like to learn to read.

When Ainsley goes down for a nap she is typically zonked, but when she needs to get out those last stragglers of energy and I am DONE I have her go through her list of quiet time go-to's that she can do alone in her room until she's ready to sleep.

"What can you do if you're not tired yet Ainsley May?"
"Play inna dollhouse, dress up, singa song, reada book. Mama, Ainsley may can't reada book. I don't knowa wowds! Teach me mama?"
I smiled through happy proud teary eyes.
"Of course I'll teach you Ainsley...after nap ok?"
"Ok mama, Ainsley May gonna WEAD!"

Now I know how successful teaching a 28 month old to read is going to be. I'm actually not going to bank on her even wanting to follow through on her request and I am CERTAINLY not going to push it. But I was floored that she wanted to, all her own, without me suggesting or steering in any way. It was a pretty great moment.

Working with learning to read kindergarteners before having children is turning out to be more of a blessing than I realized. I saw so many children totally discouraged by the time they got to our class because their parents had pushed reading too early. Sure they could read at a second grade level but they weren't comprehending a word and they could care less about the stories. The children that really thrived were the ones who came untainted, who'd been read to and talked to and explained to. Those children knew what a story was and how to tell one and what it meant. When they were ready to learn they soared, most picking it up in a matter of weeks. It was an amazing incredible thing to be a part of and I have always wanted that experience for my children.

Both Ian and I LOVE to read and are rarely without a book (or 20 Ian?) earmarked or kindled on the bedside tables. I love that my English major introduced me to so many new genres and writers and I feel capable of reading just about anything (save Ian's nonfiction section in the basement....goodness gracious no!). I want our children to love to read as much as we do because it has brought such joy and growth to our lives.

I'm excited to see where this takes us, what learning Ainsley will request next. It's nice to be her teacher right now, to get all the say in what she has her hands in, and get to form her learning around her wants and needs.

Today I feel thankful to be a stay at home mom with the resources to give my girls what they need. I am thrilled for full nights of sleep again now that Louise's growth spurting is in hiatus. I can't wait to hear how Ian's first committee meeting went this morning. I have all the confidence in the world in my hard working smarty pants man. Today I am thankful for dry sidewalks for an afternoon walk despite the chill and Easter leftovers so I don't have to worry about dinner.

Here are the pictures I promised last post.

::8 month old Louise Adele::



::I caught her mid-yawn::

::book an playdough time::

::Ainsley showing me her emotion faces::

::sad, clearly::
::believe it or not this is happy::

::I believe this was scared, looks a bit more like ANTM to me::


::my big standing up girl!::

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.