Monday, April 18, 2011

Change of Plans

I am in the throws of holiday week preparation. Grocery lists a mile long, endless picking up and cleaning up and scrubbing scrubbing scrubbing. My mind is going a million miles a minute. And then the rain came and the girls got sick.

The rain was a welcome respite from our busy week. We stayed indoors, more snuggly and slow than usual. After her nap Ainsley was desperate to go out in the pitter patter. "Find some puddles mama, so Ainsley may go JUMP! inna puddles!"

How do you say no to that? And we did after all need to put that ridiculously matchy matchy raingear to good use.



So out we went. I shielded Louise from the now downpour secured to my chest, umbrella in hand and Ainsley splashed away.



We walked around the block and through the park. On the home stretch I started to lose Ainsley. She so desperatley wanted "more jumping splashing mama" and I wanted to get out of the pouring windy freezing yuck. So I bribed her. "Ainsley, let's go inside and share some tea!" "Oooh, mama, TEA!" Then she closed the gap between us, motioned for me to bend down, cupped her little toddler mouth and whipsered "Mama, Ainsley hava seecret. I have a tiny little cup!"

So we trekked home, took off our soaking pants and shoes and socks, put the kettle on (while Ainsley sang Polly Put the Kettle On) and waited for our delicious rooibus tea to steep. Ainsley drank out of her little cup that I had needed reminding of and we delighted in the winter warmth of our home.

Then the rain and gloom kept on through the weekend. It brightened on Sunday both in weather and spirits when we shared brunch with good friends. The day meandered and Ainsley's cold turned into a full out bug. She's been sleeping tons and snuggling lots and I'm hoping we're nearing the end. I hate when my girls are sick.

So the vacuuming and dusting can wait and the papier mache eggs may just not happen. Thank goodness the ham is already bought and the knitted toys almost completed to fill Easter Baskets. I know I'm overcompensating for last year when I was newly pregnant and sick sick sick, but I want this Easter to be special. I'm excited to share it with friends and family, form some new traditions and host our first holiday in our home.

As a side note Louise has started crossing her feet when she sits...she of course had just uncrossed them when I tried to take a photo of them, but you get the idea. She's my little lady in every way, patiently waiting these past few days as I tend to Ainsley, contentedly babbling and smiling away.

Today I am thankful for blue skies, despite waking up to a thick dusting of snow, Ainsley's adorable new helmet just waiting for her bike delivery later today, my calm sweet Louise, my snuggly sick Ainsley, and my hard working husband who passed on his wicked sore throat to me. I guess we made it through the winter without a hitch, so I shouldn't be surprised.

All the same I'm eagerly anticipating the events of the week and all the fun to be had. Have a great Monday!

1 comment:

  1. the whole story of Ainsley and the puddles and the matchie matchie rain coat and the tea the the secret: is a brilliant children's story. You need to write it up proper for you girls.

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.