Monday, February 27, 2012

Birthday Blog

As a kid I was always so jealous of my sisters on their birthdays.  They all had summer birthdays, or in Julie's case labor day birthdays.  No school, sun, warmth and all day celebrations.  In contrast it seemed a bit cruel to me that I had to go to school on my birthday, follow instruction, LEARN even...the horror.
::gussying up for some pre birthday fun::



 Even so birthdays were such a fantastic ordeal.  Your choice of food, oodles of thoughtful gifts, delicious cake and daiquiris.  I remember feeling so special on my birthday...like the whole world was smiling at me, giving me a big warm hug.

::birthday friends!::


I vowed I would never lose that zeal for my day of birth, never become one of those adults who nodded and smiled the day away.  But it's not really that is it?  The magic doesn't so much go away as morph and replace itself in the form of nostalgia, comfort and thankfulness.

::birthday dinner downtown with my boy::


Today I woke up, and quite frankly forgot that it was my birthday until I descended to Ian and the girls eagerly waiting to belt out "happy birthday mama!".  Ainsley was so proud of her card, her big A and L prominent on the front, her cute rendition of me on the inside.  She was DESPERATE for me to open all my gifts right away.  "Peanut, mama's don't have too much to open, so I like to save some for later!"  She was happy with me opening my new awesome watch that Ian and the girls trekked to get this weekend and my first pair of red amazing Toms from my own mama.  I haven't taken either off all day.
::wearing all my new birthday duds, patagonia baggies, 
Toms, watch, scarf, earrings, socks, sweater, posing with my sweet Tootie girl::


Today's been predictably normal.  After a weekend of celebrating with friends and my boy today is about me and my girls.  Grocery shopping, playing, cake making and sunshine.  I guess I don't need  too much to be reminded of how good I have it and how great 28 feels.

::cake, candles, sprinkles and three precious loves, what more could a girl ask for?::


Birthdays seemed to be much more about the spoiling as a kid, but now?  It's another day, quite normal in every way but that I take special stock in this wonderful life I have, and that I've been blessed with another year to enjoy it even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.