Friday, February 10, 2012

Friday Nuggets: Tag Team

Apologies for the late nuggets, but as facebook has surely informed you (or over-informed? as facebook has a tendency to do) we were struck with family stomach flu this week.  Nothing brings 4 people closer than all that horribleness.  Yuck.

But here we are on the other side, mostly better and getting the rest our sad ravaged bodies need.  This mama in particular is slow to recover.  Perhaps it's because the moment I was able to get a sip of sprite to stay in my stomach and my head would allow me to raise it above bed level my strong helping husband ran up the stairs for the bathroom, emerging moments later "uh, I think I have it too.  Tag team!" We actually high fived, some weak attempt to pump me up for the task at hand.  The task?  caring for my two rambunctious not sick yet girls, unable to really sit up let alone walk.  Goodness that was a long afternoon.

Thankfully they were both so sweet.  Ainsley was mostly concerned with my lethargy and very helpful.  Poor Louise was desperate to get out of the house, pointing at her coat then the door over and over "walk, mama, out mama, WALK, MAMA, OUT MAMA!!!"  Oh Louise, mama can barely sit up let alone get out to walk with you.  

But we made do with books and laying down play on the floor, reminding me of the baby play days before mobility.  It would have been sweet if I wasn't still so wretchedly ill.  Then came dinner, and doing dishes and getting my girls to bed.  Making them those PB&Js took every ounce of mama that I had in me, but I did it and they ate and went to bed early.  

Then poor Ainsley got sick so I slept on her floor, helping her on the hour, changing her sheets and her pj's holding her hair back and rubbing her back as my mama used to for me.  It was a long night for my poor tootie, but thankfully by morning the sun was shining for us all.  It was a day filled with laundry (10 loads!  I counted!), cleaning and disinfecting (my new melaleuca thyme disinfectant is amazing) and trying to get something to stay in our bellies.

Nearly every day I'm reminded at some point that I'm a mama, but for the past 48 hours?  I was all mama.  At a time when pre-baby I would have been laid up luxuriously, I was powering through for my family, getting the house and our bodies in order.  It's a tough job this is, but really quite rewarding.

Nuggets::
Thankfully have been out lots pre-flu.  This crazy mild weather has lended itself to many impromptu jaunts around our neighborhood.  Most post nap and pre-bed hours you can find us outside, no carrying or strollers, just me and my girls strolling along.




 Nuggets::
When we bought our sand table two summers ago my intent was to have it double as a sensory bin in the winter months.  As of January 1st I had yet to thaw it out and bring it inside.  I have been waiting to get some wholesale rice or oatmeal to dump into the large receptacle but as errands with these two have become next to impossible I opted for soapy water play and let me tell you, it was an absolute success.

 ::Ainsley in her new jammie pants::



 :: I still don't know where this face came from, the child LOVES bubbles::


 ::throwing a little dishwashing lesson in there::


The real bonus?  The "mess" this makes is really just an excuse to scrub the floors, a suprisingly fun toddler activity.  Those girls LOVE to scrub!

Nuggets::
The basement playroom continues to be our favorite  place to spend those late afternoon hours.  The girls slide and make food in the kitchen.  It's usually someone's birthday, mine lately as my actual birthday is around the corner.  Ainsley has taken to silliness on the kitchen and otherwise.  When I ask what she's making it goes something like this. "Ok mama, it's something really yummy!  It's a special secret ingredient soup with tomatoes and beans and potatoes and cheese and space heaters and socks! Yumm mommy, eat it up!" .  Space heaters are in just about everything she makes.  Oh preschooler hilarity.

::Louise rockin' her new Auntie Joojie skirt, pretty cute right? Thanks Auntie Joojie!::


::pre-bed daddy snuggles, 
I love that all three of my family members can fit in this child sized poang::


::post bath curls
I wish sleeping didn't flatten them so, we may have a curly cue on our hands afterall!::

 Nuggets::
Rather thane make lists and lists of NEW things to try (activities to do with the girls, food to make, crafts to do) I'm trying to be better about going with old standbys.  This past week my menu plan was VERY simple (good thing as we're not going to end up eating half of it) and now that Ainsley is so much older she has her own favorites and enjoys practicing over and over.  One such favorite is chopping.  The sawing motion that the pumpkin knives required was getting frustrating for her so I pulled out this waffle cutter my mom gave me and it's the new favorite.  Child safe, easy to hold and cuts REALLY well.  I always give her the dregs of whatever I'm chopping in the kitchen, a little water, a bowl and a spoon and she's happy FOREVER.

::look at that concentration::


So there you have it.  Despite two days of our lives wasted to the flu we've managed some fun.  It's suddenly hit me that we have birthdays and trips coming up and things to make and do galore!  I'm taking today to recover fully with my girls (right now they're both still snuggled up on the couch and truth be told that's where I plan to be once I hit publish on here) and then this weekend we'll off!  I'm looking forward to starting the girls' Florida dresses (I made mine last weekend, pictures to come!), getting birthday presents off (oh the homemade goodness!) and settling in for a little Valentine's celebration of our own (I'm thinking fancy dessert and yummy special dinner...but wait, still can't think about food just yet).

Happy belated humpday out there, and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.