Monday, February 6, 2012

Late Night Tids and Bits

Oh goodness.  It's nearly midnight and here I site wide awake.  I guess that's what I get for drinking that late cup of coffee and starting my new vitamin regimine right before bed!  I thought I'd take this rare burst of energy to share some findings of late.  I've been having WAY too much fun with our household budget lately.

I've been on the prowl for "dressy" summer sandals for Ainsley that could also serve as everyday run around park shoes and I believe I found them.  Behold the glory of mini-boden.  I'm super excited for these to get here.  Do they come in my size?


 And speaking of Boden, have you checked them out?  I've been getting their catalog for a few years and after stumbling across some of their stuff at garage sales and thrift stores I am officially hooked.  While a bit pricey everything seems to always be on sale and the cuteness and quality is off the charts.  So of course once I found Ainsley's new shoes I had to browse for me right?  I've been searching for the perfect new I-have-two-kids-and-like-modesty-but-don't-want-to-look-frumpy-and-old swimsuit and believe I found it there.  It's a one piece fifties inspired swimsuit with ruching and beautiful pattern choices.  I can't wait to sport it in Florida!

I've made good on my promise to involve the girls in more chores.  Just today Ainsley and I made a goal chart for her, and me.  She picked a goal for herself (listening to mommy better and being a better big sister) and I chose for her too (picking up toys and clothes and not yelling).  Then she got to chose a goal for me (not using my loud voice so much) and I chose staying calm.  We're adding stickers by the hour and it's going well.  I also ordered the girls a few new cleaning supplies from montessori connection.  I am SO excited for their childsized wicker laundry basket filled with cloth doilies for their flower arranging, a crumb sweeper, and microfiber dust mits and a feather duster each.  I also got Ainsley a child sized pouring pitcher with 4 sturdy glass cups because ALL that child wants to do it pour her own drinks and our gallon jugs are a bit hefty.  It's going to be a rich Valentine's Day!

                                                                                   


I was lead to another great book site the other day and had to share.  Barefoot books has so many great finds for slightly older children.  I ordered a bunch of mama approved princess and fantasy books for the girls from the library and can't wait for them to come in!  I have been told that the Vegetarian Dragon book is particularly choice.

And to round out the book discussion I finished my first novel in what feels like forever in record time.  I was done before it was due back at the library and that's saying something!  I found Winter Bloom by Tara Heavey over at chinaberry.com and absolitely LOVED it.  All about people coming together, tending to a garden, their separate but similar stories.  It was an easy enjoyable read with great characters and intriguing stories.  I'd recommend it to anyone.  Now I'm onto Sheepish, a memoir of a Minnesota Sheep Farmer.  I'm pretty pumped for that one.


And then there's a cookbook.  I would recommend this book for anyone, family or not.  I was blessed to grow up in a family where eating dinner together was routine.  It has never been a question for Ian and I that dinner time is sacred family time, but this book takes it to the next level.  Not only does this book have amazing "why didn't I think of that?" simple recipes, but great ideas for how to involve children in the whole dinner process, cooking, setting the table, table talk, after dinner play.  I am excited to use more of her ideas as the girls get older and meal time isn't so much about survival!


I hope you've enjoyed my finds, I know I always love to hear about yours!

Well, tired or not I best be off.  Those girls wake up with the sun whether I'm rested or not!



1 comment:

  1. Love the Barefoot Books website! Every time I read your entries with links to stores I get in real danger of having a spending accident.
    Have you ever read The Enchanted Forest Chronicles? They are my favorite favorite favorite princess books. You should look into reading them to Ainsley. Maybe she's a little too young still...but in a year or two?

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.