Thursday, March 1, 2012

Hump Day Nugggets: Hardships

When Ainsley got unexpectedly sick last week I was thrown for a loop.  Having already had family colds and family stomach flu I thought we were done for the season.  My patience already strapped and my willingness to watch ANY more TV left me at a bit of a loss.  All that child wanted to do for two days was snuggle on the couch and watch something.  I took advantage of her fever induced complacency and gently suggested Little House on the Prairie.  I may have stumbled across genius.

My girls are in absolute LOVE.  We've watched 2 whole discs since last Thursday, averaging a full episode a day.  We sit all together, me knitting, them snuggling, asking questions about life back then, how different it all is from today.  How much WORK life was.  Walking everywhere, growing all your own food, washing laundry in the creek and drying it in the sun, doing chores before and after school, entertained by Pa's fiddle, clothed by ma's hand sewing and knitting.

Ainsley is particularly interested in how different the medical scene was back then.  Why you just had to shoot your dog if they got rabies, why Miss Beadle was laid up for what seemed like weeks with a mere sprained ankle, why strong Pa was out of commission and almost lost his oxen over a few cracked ribs.  "Why can't they just fix them mama?  Don't they have a shot for that?".  I love how much interest these few shows have sparked, how easy and simple this new learning is.

I of course sob at just about every episode.  The first one when the new community shows up in droves to complete pa's contracted work when he cracks his ribs to make sure his family keeps his farm.  The episode where a hail storm ruins their first wheat crop and pa is forced to work in  dangerous land mine while back on the front the women band together to save what wheat they can.  The one we just watched when they think that their beloved dog Jack and sweet Laura have rabies, watching the anguish in the parent's faces as they consider the worst, helpless to stop it if it does happen.  Oh goodness.  It really gets me.

Not just because I so crave that kind of life, the hard REAL work of living, but those kinds of raw emotions that really mean something, that are significant and true.  I am a worrier, this is no secret, but  that I'm a lame sorry worrier is something I like to keep underwraps.  I worry about ridiculous things, that the roof is going to cave in on us, that when we get back from errands our house will be burned to the ground, that every time I go into the basement a mouse is going to jump on top of my head.  Silly ridiculous things.

I've often contemplated WHY this is, and for a long time I've felt that it's because I have nothing REAL to worry about.  I sometimes wonder, in my lofty way, if we humans have been so wired to worry, because it used to be necessity. You needed that worry and alertness to survive.  Now?  It just kind of gets in the way.

Even when I stress over money and the future and the ifs and the whens I know in my sane mind that all the big stuff is covered.  We're not going to starve this winter (in fact I've had to dial back my baking to make sure that Florida suit looks good!), our livliehood isn't up in the air every harvest season, we don't keep a loaded gun by our bedside to ward off uwanted predators.  We are safe, we are warm, we are fed, we are loved, without any real hardships in sight.

It makes me feel thankful for this place and time we live in, for relative security and ease.  In the midst of an election season when there always seems to be so much hate and anger and loudness it's a pleasant reminder that regardless of the outcome, we all have it pretty good.  I'm thankful to have a hospital to take my girls, for the opportunity to be healed, no matter what the cost.  I'm thankful for a a country that values education, with choices abundant for students and scholars.  I feel like it's so easy to get caught up in what's wrong.  Sometimes it's nice to focus on what's right.

Right now?  A whole lot is right.

Nuggets::

On oh so right thing is the new arrangement of our living room and sunroom.  It's been irking me FOREVER (ok, the two years we've lived in this house) that we don't have a proper entryway.  You walk in the front door and BAM! there's the living room.  I tried making a little coat/shoe area but it still felt odd to have the couch right by the front door, yet I was weary to lose living space by plunking the couch in the middle of the room.  Last Wednesday right at the end of my 2 day funk I decided to go for it.  We pretty much love it.

::the new "entryway", fancy I know, and yes,
we can't BEAR to get rid of Mr Penguin, he's kind of a house staple now::


 ::new desk nook, I love that it's not in the thick of the action, tucked away for those seldom quiet moments::


 ::sunroom turned playroom, loving that the girls have a few bigger toys upstairs now and that our sunroom has a clear purpose!::

 Nuggets::
We continue to get excited about our upcoming Florida trip.  I know most think I'm crazy to be packing and readying so soon for our mid March trip, but any mama with growing kids knows how much prep goes into a 10 day across states plane trip.  Bike and burley rentals, taxi confirmations, new suits and sandals, sunscreens, hats and sunglasses.  Add two ansty-don't-like-errands-any-more-girls to the mix and you need a good month to get it all organized without losing your mind.

::the girls' new favorite play? dressing up in mama's new swimsuits, glad that retro top is such a hit!  hope it looks as cute on me! ::


::Ainsley wants to wear her new floaties ALL the time, and her new headphones for the plane, she's determined to lose the floaties once in the water "I'm going to swim like a big girl mama!  With my face in the water and my arms and legs just swimming swimming!"  We have no doubt you can baby girl::


Nuggets::
Ah Louise, please stop growing up so fast.  It's breaking my heart a little every day.  At the same time I so love watching you grow.  You are as sweet and cute as can be.  I have at least 12 times a day when I glance into your big blue eyes and am astonished at how lucky I am.



Nuggets::
Ahh sewing.  I am so in love.  I found a great new book at the library, Weekend Sewing by Heather Ross and after earmarking about 27 patterns I decided I needed to buy it.  Thanks again mom and dad for the amazon gift card!  It's being put to good use!  I just feel so exhilarated by the possibilities that this new craft has given me.  In a matter of hours a new garment exists, made just the way I intended.  It's a glorious wondrous thing.  So.  In. Love.


 ::now Ainsley has a matching dress to her sisters' and three more patterns are cut and waiting for the next chance I get!::


Nuggets::
One frown turned upside down in my life is playschool pick ups.  Ainsley and Louise take FOREVER to get the the car.  It used to drive me bonkers because of course I always had a plan for after playschool, errands or library stop before lunchtime.  "Come on guys! Mama has things planned!  Let's MOVE it!!!"  But now unless the errand is dire (and it almost never is) I let them run.  Up and down the ramp, up and down the steps, around and around, through the field and back again.  They giggle and laugh and play.  What could be more urgent than that?

 ::my not so little dumpling, keeping up with her big sister, having an absolute blast::


 ::it was pajama day, in case you're wondering about Ainsley's attire::




 ::ah, carefree glee::


Today I am thankful for free time, time with my girls, my boy, my strong running legs, my newfound zeal for budget cooking and crafting.  For hardships averted and life abundant.  I am thankful for a fun trip coming up to keep life exciting in these dreary dregs of non-winter.  Happy belated hump day out there!






































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.