Monday, March 12, 2012

Easter Thrift

Easter always kind of sneaks up on me.  We tend to be in the sunshine state just a week or two before the holiday (waw waw, I know).  We leave a cool hard Chicago winter and come back to buds and warmth and sun.  It's kind of a nice system.

But this system has a flaw.  Do we recall how much I love holiday prep?  Scratch that, NEED holiday prep?  My ideas just about always outweigh my execution and I tend to end up in a hurried flurried mess.  This year I'm determined to be prepared and share some of my (hopefully realistic!) ideas with you.

Last year I recall the girls' baskets being filled with new spring books, hand knit plushies and of course a few treats.  While I of course have LISTS of books I'd love them to have and new gardening tools and cute summer clothes all of that is just not realistic this year.  So here we go!

Home Made Board Books

Okay, not quite home made, but I found this great blank book website barebooks.com at Christmastime and bought a bunch of blank board books, a few puzzles too!  My artsy husband has agreed to make one for each of the girls and I'm so excited to see their faces when they open their personalized books!

Jammies

In my new favorite sewing book Weekend Sewing there's a pattern for jammie pants for the whole family.  the sizes go all the way from a child's small (that should fit Ainsley, Louise too with a bit of tweaking) all the way up to an adult L.  I found some vintage sheets at the thrift store this weekend and intend to make the girls each a lightweight pair of jammie pants to fill their basket.  I may have to make some for myself too!

Easter Dresses

Remember that knit top dress I talked about?  I'm planning on bringing the yarn for the tops to Florida in the hopes that I can finish them in time for the girls to wear on Easter!  With sweaters on top of course.  Sadly only Ainsley will have her new spring sweater, Louise will have to wait just a bit!

Nature Walk Bags

We do a lot of afternoon wandering around here and I thought a nature walk bag for each girl would be a great way to coral (and limit!) all those treasures they inevitably find.  Ainsley has taken to hauling loads of sticks home and Louise is partial to rocks.  This sewing project will be quick and I have just the sturdy fabric for it sitting right in the basement.

Gathering bowls

For once the treasures make it back to the house...I found the idea to knit these wool gathering bowls, think small little nesting bowls, then felt them for sturdiness.  What a fun surprise to have inside the nature walk bag!

Sweet Treats

I plan to try and make my own peanut butter eggs this year, wish me luck!  And of course I'll have to find a few delicious chocolate bunnies somewhere.  Any suggestions Chicago friends?

If I Could

Oh and PLEASE if your budget allows, get this ridiculously realistic looking soft cute rabbit for your dumplings.  I surely would if I could. I believe they have similar ones at Hearthsong.

Ooh and if there's time I hope to make my own version of these amazingly cute spring fairy dolls.  Remember that big wool blanket that was just waiting to be felted for the perfect project?  I may have found it.

Happy Easter Elving!  Or should I say bunny-ing?  Happy times just the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.