Saturday, March 17, 2012

Packing

*DISCLAIMER: I know this post is going to be lame to most people (if I'm honest it's even lame to myself but it's 6am on the Saturday before our trip and I can't sleep so bare with me!)


Travelling has never really been my thing, scratch that, I LOVE travelling, hate the getting places.  I stress out over packing, preparedness, the unknown.  I never realized how much these things plagued me until adding two dependent little ones to the carry on load.  Long security and check in lines, unexpected delays and lengthy plane rides...it's stressful!  I thought I'd share a few things that have worked for me to keep travelling as slick as I can (and it never hurts to have a last minute reminder myself!)

PACK LIGHT!!!
  One of the biggest stressors for me is the balance between being prepared and having to keep track of ALL that stuff while away.  I literally go insane keeping track of shoes and socks, leggings and tiny underpants, pieces of toys and books.  While there are of course SOME things that HAVE to come, lovies and blankies galore! the rest is at my discretion.  If there's a washing machine where we're going (and there almost always is) I pack for a bout 5 days, regardless of the length of the stay. That way I'm not inundated with tiny clothes AND they get to where all their super cute (in this case new warm weather) clothes WAY more than once.

PACK HEAVY
   But Becky, you just said to pack light?!? I'm so utterly confused.  Hear me out.  Carry-ons people, carry ons.  While I don't go nuts I DO pack "well" in this department.  Remember those unexpected delays?  and long plane rides?  and the all too real possibility of lost luggage?  Pack heavy friends.  Before having babies I almost NEVER packed a legitimate carry on.  I'd have my purse, with a book, ipod, and knitting shoved inside.  Good to go right?  Well kids need stuff to keep them happy, stuff like this...

FOOD
   (LOTS of food.  I usually pack babybels, crackers of some sort, cereal bars, fruit snacks, dried fruit, bananas or apples and pb&Js)  this way I'm uber prepared if we end up taxiing forever or are stuck on the plane for any unforeseen amount of time.  I can't stress this enough.  Food is the key to happy traveling kids.

Entertainment
   Here's where we get to have some fun.  I've tried all sorts of different ways to keep the girls happy on long travel days (and no, portable DVD players have never been it!  although we did get an ipad for Christmas so we'll see what happens this time around).  Wrapping toys for the girls to open is always a hit, but the paper mess is a bit much for plane rides.  One of my favorites is bringing colored electrical or painters tape to play with on the seat trays.  I bring some little figurines and cars and we can make a whole scene and jsut play away.  PLus just pulling off tape and sticking it to each other is silly too.
  Other favorites are of course crayons and a new coloring book or two.  I find one or two new SMALL purchases go a long way.  I spent $5 on one hidden pictures book and a new coloring book for the girls and I know it will be quite exciting to pull something new out!
   Paperback books are a must for travelling.  I love scouring our stash for ones we haven't read in a while, sneak a few old favorites in and there we are!  I have found some GREAT mini paperbacks at thrift stores (Harold and the Purple Crayon, Peter Rabbit).  The beauty of travelling with paperbacks is you can pack more books and if they get lost or damaged it isn't nearly as catastrophic as losing a beautiful hardcover.
  And my number one tip always?  Don't give them ANYTHING until they show signs of needing redirection.  Just being out in a new place with things to look at and talk about is enough for quite awhile most times.  I've been amazed at how little entertainment my girls need sometimes...just talk with them, notice things, plan what you'll do once on your trip, relish in the free tiny sodas and pretzels and see how long it lasts!

Extras
  While I have one bag underfoot with the essentials (all that food and entertainment I just spoke of) I pack a small carry on with things that are too precious to trust to that underbelly of the plane.  All cameras and chargers of course are here, as are my carry on items in the event that the girls may allow me to knit a few rows or read a few pages.  I always pack LOTS of extra diapers (weird to think next trip I may not have any diapers to pack!) and clothes.  At LEAST 1 extra outfit per girl, 2 if I have the room.  This way we're covered in case of massive spills or accidents as well as if our bags are delayed.  And these clothes are always the softest most comfortable we own.  Think cotton loose pants and cozy shirts.  Clothes they can snuggle up and sleep in comfortably without hugging tummies too tightly!  When traveling to a sunny destination like tomorrow I pack a swimsuit per person as well.  Wouldn't want our bags to be delayed and have us unable to jump in that pool immediately upon arrival!  I pack extra snacks and books here too.
While it would be nice to just have one small bag to tote around I'm always glad for this extra one for piece of mind.

PMA
  (Positive Mental Attitude)  while I'll admit I am usually a flurry on nerves until we get to the gate, you'd better believe I have my game face on ALL day.  I do my best to have extra patience with the girls, extra flexibility.  I actually look forward to "special" travel treats, like sneaking a little chocolate for the plane, sharing in the wonder of liftoff with my girls.  I'm always amazed by how little "planned" entertainment they need when travelling.  The sights and sounds of new places and faces provide oodles all on their own.  And the most important thing?  To remember that this is a treat, that it's supposed to be FUN!  If I'm having fun then the family is having fun, so enjoy!

So there we have it!  We're all packed and ready to go.  Now if the house would just tidy itself!




1 comment:

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.