Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Facelift

When I was little I could often be found on a rainy weekend day holed up in my room rearragning furniture. I'm not talking moving a lamp to a new location or dusting off my doll collection to put on a new shelf. I'm talking all out lug-the-beg-into-the-hallway-so-I-can-push-the-dresser-to-the-other-side-0f-the-room rearranging.

In retrospect I'm surpised and thankful that my parents let me do it. They clearly knew what was going on. I'm sure they could hear the grunts and scrapes from below. I lived in my childhood room for a good 10 years and I'll bet I rearranged that room at least every 6 months, everytime something new.

I remember how thrilling it was to go to bed in a new environment, how fresh and rejuvinating it felt. It was always just the thing I needed to clear cobwebs, get some energy out and refocus. My room would become my haven again as a I looked at it from a new angle.

Today I rekindled that thrill.

While the girls naps breifly overlapped this afternoon I took it upon myself to move some things around. It started innocently enough. Now that Auntie Sonya is happily hunkered down in her new digs I decided to reclaim the basement as the playroom. I moved all of the girls' big toys downstairs. No big deal.

But then the sunroom looked so empty and the overflowing shelves and baskets of little teeny mistmatched toys were egging me on. "Clean me, organize me...please please PLEASE!" So I obliged.

But in order to clean thoroughly I had to move furniture right? So I moved the couch. Gross. I vaccuumed and scrubbed. Then came the coffee table, the entrance table, and that lovable cumbersome chair-and-a-half. "Why don't you just rearrange a few thing, you know, while your're at it" a little voice teased. "Well, maybe just a FEW things".

So I rearranged. Nothing as drastic as my past rearragning antics may indicate, but enough. I feel completely rejuvinated in our home. Sitting here at my computer from my new vantage point I feel refreshed and excited about our space again. The living room has been reclaimed as cute-baby-toys-and-mostly-nice-adult-stuff and we have more space to play and lounge as a family.

I fear I have opened pandora's box. What room will be next?

::reclaimed playroom::

::yes that is a balloon, one of the best toddler toys EVER, well, until it pops::




::how I love a good reading nook::






2 comments:

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.