Saturday, June 18, 2011

Diaper Dilemma

Sooo. My wonderful amazing so easy to use cloth diapers are dying. They made it through 1.5 kids and served us well but they don't absorb well anymore and 3/4 of the velcro has stopped working. Needless to say I'm bummed.

Now the question is where to go from here. I could buy a whole new round of the ones we love but that would be quite the chunk of change AND I'm worried about Louise fitting into them through potty training. I could buy new liners and velcro for the ones we have and try to repair them, but honestly I'm not a meticulous sewer and I worry about the integrity of my repair job. I could also opt to try a new method and go with prefolds and few nice new covers but I'm a bit weary to shirk the great system we have in place.

I really want to keep using cloth. Suggestions please!

4 comments:

  1. I think in your position, I would attempt to repair the velcro, strip the diapers really well in hopes they'll absorb better (boil with blue dawn dishsoap), and then scour diaperswappers.com for a good deal on a few additional dipes. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely strip those diapers. Turn the water heater up while washing the liners and use a little dawn dish soap. It takes quite a few cycles to get all the soap out but the diapers come out great! As far as the velcro is concerned you could try to replace it or you could try converting your diapers to snap. I have never tried this but I understand this works for some. I'm sure your mom would have a few pointers on replacing the velcro too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, may I ask what diapers you use? We are doing our research on cloth diapers and there are a lot of options out there. Glad you like yours so much, now I'm curious! Thanks!

    Bekki

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a diaper store near me that does occasional "diaper snap nights" where you pay to have your velcro diapers converted to snap. Maybe you could call around and see if any local stores do this if you don't feel comfortable/confident doing it yourself?

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.