Sunday, April 12, 2015

Spring! and Stress

I think I'm officially off my groove of photo taking and writing about life.  I'm sad about it, but it's reality.
This past winter, this whole school year, has just felt insane.   I feel like it's been forever and a blink of an eye at the same time.

Those 24 inches of snow we got in February are finally melting.  We're all out of our winter cocoons enjoying the sun and slush. I almost cried when I saw that there was NO snow on the passenger side of the car so I could actually get Felix out on his side and not have to crawl through the car and get him out on the busy street side for the first tim in over a month.  It was glorious.

With the coming of the warm up and the sun I've felt so much better, but not as good as I'd hoped.  There is still so much stress in life.  The kids have all been sick, one after the other.  I'm still not 100% after my sinus horrible cold last week and caring for so many needy little people is just so so hard.
Poor Ainsley had a reaction to her antibiotic for her ear infection and was covered in a head to toe horrible rash.  She was home for two days while we tried to figure out what was going on and to help her rash subside enough.
It has been such a tough two days. With the measles scare so many parents worried eyes shot at me when they saw me with her at school drop off for Louise.  I kept saying loudly "poor thing has an allergy to penicillin!" and everyone I told was only sympathetic.  Still it's hard to feel like those parents I couldn't talk to perhaps judged a bit.  We're all just doing our best.
Now my girl is well enough for school and gets to bring a friend home today.  She is so excited for a lava lamp experiment, playing outside at the park, and sharing her favorite things.  We love having friends over.  It's fun as the girls grow to have parent-less playdates where the kids just play.  It reminds me how big and independent they're getting.
I'm feeling stressed about this old house.  Spring always brings to light so many things that need attention.  Simple things like a toilet not filling properly become gigantic when you factor in 100 year old house plumbing problems.  Ugh.  I don't deal with these things well.
So as usual I'm trying to focus on the fact that these problems can all be fixed and we are lucky for that.  Now I'm just hoping for full health for all of the kids (poor Felix seems to have caught the girls' coughs just this morning and then proceeded to face plant on the cement while picking Louise up from school.
The thing I'm realizing over and over again with these kids is that there is always going to be something. It can get overwhelming so fast, but just as easily the panic can be quelled and order and calm restored.
Today I am so thankful for blowing bubbles outside in the sun with my boy while we waited to pick up Louise, clear sidewalks, fun plans for the afternoon, and a glass of wine with my name on it tonight (or an early bedtime, or most likely both).  Goodness gracious.  What are your stress relieving go to's?  I need some help with that today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.