Monday, April 27, 2015

End of April

And so starts another week.  It felt like a 3 day weekend what with all of the celebrating and fullness and excitement that a tiny toddler birthday brings.  Ainsley slept until 8am on Sunday.  Now that's saying something!

Just before the festivities began we were rounding out a pretty awesome week.  I know most were bummed by the clouds and rain and cool, but I'm a hermit at heart and big rain boots and dashing in downpours and hearing Felix shout "res waining!" over and over are kind of my happy place.

Plus Louise loves her raincoat so much she wears it ALL the time.





I've found a new favorite craft.  Rope bowls!  These are all made from one 200 ft. skein of cotton clothesline rope.  They are totally wonky and I resorted to using lots of colored thread because I'm too cheap and lazy to go all the way to the store when I ran out of plain.  I am seriously addicted to making these.





And our first bowl!  Two more weeks of pottery and I should have all of our stuff to share and use.  This bowl is so appropriately wonky, but it works beautifully for late night cereal and clusters of grapes at lunch.  I love that I'll have lots of tactile memories from this time with Ainsley.


Last but not least my new fingerless mitts.  I've made about four pairs now and these are my favorite. Made from a free revelry pattern  and leftover yarn.  In't that the way it goes.


Ian took all of the good photos from Felix's birthday, but here are a few I had on my camera.






We spent the day playing outside and at parks, going to Felix's open house for preschool for next year, napping, grilling giant hot dogs and enjoying being together.  It was such a great great day. (I'm hoping to write a whole separate post about my two year old little guy, hence the brevity)

Saturday we had our friend party in the morning with bakery goodies and kite decorating.  We spent the better part of Saturday night and Sunday morning crashing.  Ian took Louise and Felix to the arboretum while I watched The Great British Bake Off with Ainsley and knit like a madwoman (I'm so close to finishing Louise's cardigan!)

Sunday afternoon my mommy daughter time with Ainsley continued while we went to get Felix a big boy mattress.  Rather than waste more money on an IKEA mattress (oh how I regret getting the girls theirs there, you live and you learn!) we opted to get a nice mattress that should last him indefinitely.  We found a local shop with surprisingly great prices and just like that an awesome mattress for tiny man was shoved in our van along with three new pillows and an industrial mattress protector (again, you live and you learn).  Then we did a little shopping.  Felix needed some new duds for a wedding we have this weekend and Ainsley talked me into two new outfits from Old Navy.  I'll admit it was so fun shopping with her, seeing what she likes.  She's obsessed with this new belt she got and her printed chino shorts.  She's wearing them to school today with tights underneath!  We rounded out our outing with a giant canister of Chicago mix popcorn and Ainsey's first slushie.  I'd call that a major success.

Photos below curtesy of Ainsley.

Our bird feeder which is currently housing 5 baby chickadees! Their chirps are the cutest.






Felix's new big boy bed.  I'm simple amazed that we actually found the hardware to put this thing back together after 3+ year in storage.


I'm still feeling a bit zonked today from it all.  I'm excited this week to make some new recipes from More with Less, an old favorite cookbook of mine.  I'm also very excited that spring activities are winding down.  This is the last week for Ainsley's aerial arts class, pottery ends next week, Louise sports camp soon after that.  Everything is winding down, even Ainsley's kindergarten is counting down the last 26 days of school starting on Thursday.  While I find myself a bit apprehensive about summer and how that looks for us I know we'll be together and really at the end of the day that's all that matters.

Hope you all are enjoying these last days of April.  We're enjoying our May flowers early here this year, hope you all are too!


1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday Felix! Those rope bowls are awesome, how do you do these?

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.