Thursday, October 7, 2010

6 weeks

Today Louise is 6 weeks old and I had my 6 week postpartum check up. Ian went to work late so that he could stay and watch the girls. The midwives were bummed they didn't get to see Louise but I promised I'd send a picture.

Everything is looking good. Amy exclaimed "good! I can only fit a little of my finger in between you ab muscles" WHAT?!?! My muscles separated with Ainsley too, but come on, it's never "good" when you can fit something in between muscles that should be tight and touching. I still have a ways to go.

I was shocked to see that I'd only lost 1 more pound since my two week appointment, especially since I am now fitting back into most of my pre-pregnancy clothes. Luckily I was shocked by how much I had lost at the 2 week appt. so I guess it evens out. I remember from Ainsley that there was a stall int he weight loss as well, gaining muscle back in place of all that lovely chub, but still, I was hoping for at least 5.

This is why I don't own a scale. I've felt depressed about it all day and for no good reason. I am feeling much better, and as I said, fitting into my old clothes. I know I have a ways to go before I'll be wearing shorts and running my 5 miles, but I'll get there. You just wait to see pictures from Florida next March!

As for Louise, she is an adorable, chubby, 6 week old. Just this morning I pulled out the bin of 3-6 month clothes (that ainsley wore through 7-8 months old) and she is currently sporting a complete outfit in this size. The trick is that she's round, not long, so waistbands are tight and pants are long. She is absolutely adorable. I am excited to look through a new batch of clothes and prioritize what to put her in because at this rate she'll be out of them in 2 months!

She is smiling all the time when she's awake. I'll be carrying her around and suddenly feel a "presence", look down and there she is locking eyes with me and smiling away. She also coos and "talks" much more than I remember Ainsley doing at this age. She LOVES lights and fans and anything that is moving close enough, typical baby. She likes being held and swaddled and has started using her pacifier a little more, although she usually just makes and ick face and spits it out. She has given me a few nights with 6 hour stretches of sleep and has already settled into a bedtime of around 8:30-9:30 and is up at 6 like clockwork for her last nighttime feeding. Then we both go back to sleep until about 7 when we come downstairs and join Ian and Ainsley for the morning until he goes to work. I remain amazed at how easy she is and how wonderful it is to have her in our lives.

Ainsley is still pushing buttons, as I imagine she will now until she's out of the house at 18, but we've had a much better couple of days. I talked with my mom for a long time yesterday and realized that despite my "getting real" sentiment of late I need to get even more real. I need to simplify our lives and really focus on what's important. I am missing out on so much by being so frazzled all the time and trying to do too much. Yesterday after feeding Louise I just sat and played with Ainsley for a whole hour. We did puzzles, built with her blocks, danced to her favorite songs, and ended the the hour coloring Halloween pictures complete with stickers. It was the most fun I've had with her in a long time. I would typically pull out an activity for her, get her going and then run around trying to clean, or pay bills, or check my email, or knit, or any number of other things, when all she wants, and I want too it turns out, is some quality time and attention. It did wonders to end the day on a good note.

Both of my younger sisters are coming in this weekend so we spent the morning cleaning the basement and putting up the bed. I'm excited to see them and have some fun outside in this great weather. I'm hoping to plant a few perennials in the garden and other than that I just want to enjoy the company of my family. I'm thinking a walk is on the agenda for this afternoon, I'm addicted to the new stroller, and apparently I could use the exercise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.