Friday, November 2, 2012

Upswing

I'm literally chuckling as I begin this.  Could it REALLY be that just yesterday I was moaning so vigorously about life?  Could it also be that I am back on here a mere day later to gush about this exact same life of mine?  chucklechuckle.  

Of course.  You see.  This is apparently my pattern, my M.O. if you will.  Whether a product of the proclamation of the bad day, the working it out in writing, or the sheer vissisitudes of this life, a bad day most certainly brings a spectacular one.  Thank goodness.

To start, today is Friday, my new favorite day.  It used to be Mondays, and those can still be pretty good too, but now Friday has surely taken my proverbial cake and I'm smitten.  Because Fridays can be anything.

Today I knew we needed some down time.  After all the hulabaloo from Halloween and the still sniffly noses of my girls a snuggle morning sounded delightful to us all.  But then the sun shone through our windows and the red cheeked kids walking to school tempted us with their glee in the crisp air and we just had to get a piece of it.  So we took a double stroller walk.  Something we haven't done in a long time.  No bikes, no backpack, no walkers but mama (an indication of the ickiness my girls felt).  It was pretty glorious.

We arrived home refreshed, descended with snacks to the basement for a little R&R (well, for the girls, I had a gift to make at the sewing table).  The girls noshed and lounged to Heidi (of course!) and I got my whole project done in the span of the movie.  YES!

After lunch the girls BOTH napped (another indication of that darn lingering cold) and I got a whole 2 hours to myself.  Since I did my workout tape yesterday and my legs were still feeling the brisk walk I decided to use this time extra well today.  I spent the time sifting, organizing my thoughts and plans for the coming season.  I am so excited about it all and really needed that time to refocus and prioritize.



In my sifting I came across and adorable paper doll pattern and after gathering notions from the basement, in quite perfect timing, I heard Ainsley's tiny LOUD stomps down the stairs.  SO eager for a fun project we worked away, and when Louise awoke she joined us.


It's a widduw guwa mama.  These aw da buttons.  Yuk!  I cowered huw eyes and huw nose.  And dose aw decowations.

Mine's a girl too and these are her bones.  She's at the doctors and she's getting an Xray. (Ainsley actually drew a tiny heart and blood vessel on each of our dolls before letting us at them, very into anatomy lately that one is)

I just had some fun with mine.


When the girls had had their crafty fill we turned to some new fun.  In my bin of odds and ends from the basement Ainsley found some metallic wire that i'd never found a use for.  We twistied it up and made princess crowns then promptly had to have a princess tea party.  Ainsley laid down her blanket and got the treats.  Once the princesses had their fill it was on to the dancing portion of the festivities.  The 50s pandora station suits us quite well for this and we bee-bop and sho-bopped away.





Then it was time for dinner making.  I'd wanted to go out and get some shrimp with the girls this morning but Ainsley was too under the weather for a grocery excursion.  So, punting a bit we made home made mac and cheese with breadcrumb topping and are grilled some hot diggity dogs.  Really?  kind of  a perfect Friday night dinner.


To round out the excellence I thought I'd try an after dinner walk.  4 blocks and a half hour later we made it home, worn and ready for bed.  The girls and I ate the last pieces of pumpkin pie, read some favorites, sang some too.  Bedtime was good, much better than usual.  A perfectly timed reminder that the effort is nearly always worth it.

::haha!  I promise Louise was just mad about getting her photo taken, not about our walk, CERTAINLY not about that amazing outfit she chose all on her own::




I feel so refreshed today, just how I like to go into the weekend.  The laundry is done and folded, the house is relatively clean, but most importantly?  My girls and I are good, ending the week strong and smitten, just what we needed (and my boy?  well, he's sending off that dissertation tonight!)

I'll take a rotten egg of a day any time if it gives me more of these triumphant ones.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I find that my decent to my bad days takes a while, but once I get there, coming back up goes rather quickly. I feel like life is throwing everything my way at the moment and I'd just like a little break. But I realize, I've made through all that's come before, I'll probably make it out the other side of whatever this is too. We're good, hearty Minnesota stock.

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.