Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Hump Day Nuggets:: Day Off

Ok, so this is really more like Tuesday nuggets seeing as I've been posting so much recently, still I'm trying to get back on my blogging track!

We're having a great week.

This is absolutely my favorite time of year.  Our work consists solely of planning gifts to give, decorations to make, and delicious food to eat.  I have been SO tempted by the cute toystores in town and vintage decorations on etsy, only to go down into my craft closet and be completely inspired with all that I can make from what we already have.

First up?  A new tiny stocking advent garland.  While I still love the mini muffin tin one I made last year I was disappointed that ALL I could fit behind the numbers was a hershey kiss.  This year I have two little girls who will be eager for treats and a firmer resolve to make the treats more than just candy.  I've been stockpiling colored clays, tiny cookie cutters, and  rubber stamps from our thrift shop to surprise the girls with. Other treasures will be temporary tattoos, tiny knitted or felted gnomes, wooden pegs to make angels out of, felt cones to make trees for our christmas village, perhaps even two teeny tiny vintage santa mugs (I'm keeping me eye out!).  I think this will be such a great way to spread out our holiday crafting and merriment.  I am so excited!

Now about those stockings...


If I'm honest with myself I would have LOVED to have splurged on some 100% wool felt in luscious winter hues, thankfully?  I have a stack of felted sweaters and thick plaid flannel shirts that I think will do quite nicely, especially coupled with fun thrifted trimmings and embellishments from this charm pack I have coming to me in the mail (oh the plans I have for these adorably festive fabrics).  We have our pattern all ready to get cutting this afternoon!

Another garland I'm excited to make is a white dove P-E-A-C-E garland.  I saw the idea on my favorite Amanda Soule blog and think it'd be a great addition to our holiday decor.  Plus I LOVE decorations that can stay up well into the new year.  Again, no fancy white felt was to be found in my stash, but I do believe these wool sweaters I found will work just fine.  And if I have time I would lOVE to embroider a holiday pillow.  Ainsley drew the most ADORABLE christmas tree the other day.  I'd love to commemorate that forever.



One of the best things to come from school and all that socializing are the leaps and bounds my girls are making daily in their playing together.  I was simply amazed that Louise sat so patiently for a full half hour while Ainsley put together her new puzzle (that daddy just couldn't wait until her birthday to give her, good thing too, she's slept with it every night since it's opening).  Just watching in awe that girl, waiting for her turn to hold a precious piece.



Of course there are times I've learned that separate may be better.  They each got their own bin for oatmeal playing.  They still fought over spoons and cups, even though they had the exact same ones.  But of course that was all minimal compared to the fun.  The best $5 I've spent in a long time was on a bulk box of oatmeal.  Who knew?




Another highlight to my day?  Clean floors!  Well, momentarily....


After our swiffer bit the dust a few months back I've been searching for a replacement with a reusable cloth and self filling cartridge (meaning I wouldn't have to use that stinky swiffer stuff anymore).  I was gearing up for the rubbermaid option online when I stumbled across the Libman mop at our local grocery store for $10 less than the rubbermaid.  Works amazingly, I can use our delicious smelling tough and tender cleaner, then throw the pad in the laundry. Ah, clean floors.

Again, just for now...



And what to do with all that extra oatmeal?  Not the played with oatmeal of course but that big old second bag of oats the box?  Homemade granola bars seemed just the ticket.  This recipe is simply delicious.  With no wheat germ in the house I bulked up the nuts and rice crispies a bit.  I dipped half in chocolate for those decadent snack times and left the other half plain for mornings.  We'll definitely be enjoying these for a long time.





In other news, we're in the midst of figuring out our first medical mystery in the family.  Since Sunday Ainsley's been having skin flare ups.  Nothing too serious, but it's definitely noticeable when it's bad and making her a bit uncomfortable at times.  I finally took her to the doctor yesterday and he seemed unconcerned and gave us a prescription for some cream.  She's still bad this morning so I'm hoping we find a solution soon.  I'm actually off in a moment with Louise (she's currently dancing around to the nutcracker in front of me while I finish this up from earlier this morning) to get some ultra gentle bath wash and lotion for her.  I'm also going to rewash everything she owns in our ultra gentle diaper wash this afternoon (now that's love!).  Of course i just want relief for her.  I'm happy to know that it's most likely not an allergy to food, but more likely a little virus or seasonal flare up with the dry leafy weather.  We'll figure it out soon Ainsley girl.

My mom comes in this afternoon for a quick end of week visit.  I'm excited, but I'm pretty sure the girls are even more excited.  GRAMMY!  We miss you!

As for the election news?  We are pleased in this household.  But I find my overwhelming emotion to be sadness that our country is so divided and there are so many people angry and hurt.  I myself am focusing on all the good.  That we are so lucky to live in the country that we do.  We are so blessed.

I hope you all are having a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.