Thursday, November 15, 2012

All in a Name

This morning was Ainsley's first parent teacher conference.  I will readily admit that from the moment we put her in preschool this was the one thing I was dreading.  There is something so bizarre and unnatural feeling about sending your beloved child off to the care of someone else, then hearing from them about your kid, things you may not know, things you may even be missing.  It was stressing me out, especially with the trying fall we've had.

Then?  the waters calmed and the last few weeks have been great.  Any dramatic worries or doubts I had disintegrated and I found myself even looking forward to speaking with her teachers.

So this morning as I walked into her cute classroom oddly devoid of chatter and children, I was calm, excited even.

We talked for 20 minutes about my girl, the youngest in her class.  How she's so in tune with her classmates feelings, always asking if they feel better if they were gone from school for a day or two.  How she loves story time and story telling.  Can retell an entire tale after one hearing and loves acting out stories.  How she knows all of her letters and sounds and can recognize all her friends' names on the job chart.  How she can repeat patterns with ease and LOVES to rhyme.  How she's the first one at the craft table every morning, so willing and eager to do anything the teachers ask.

And then?  I nodded in knowing agreement as the teacher talked about her anxiety around a change in schedule.  How she will watch intently when another child is told not to do something, then turn around and do it herself (though never initiates the negative behavior on her own).  How she will stop mid project when she is frustrated or if something isn't coming easily.  How my girl is turning into quite the perfectionist, a bit to her own detriment.

This was the part that I was so worried about.  Hearing the things that your child struggles with, can improve upon, is hard.  But this morning I didn't feel defeat or sadness, but satisfaction that I already knew all of these things about my girl.

At the end of our talk the teacher showed me Ainsley's binder, full of artwork and photos from the past few months.  She told me what a delight Ainsley is.  How much they love having her in the class. I grinned inside because I could see they meant it.  My little girl has found her first place outside of home and I am so pleased for her.

I rushed home, eager to share with Ian and let him get on his way to his big day.  Then it was just Ainsley and I for a good hour while Louise was at school.  I couldn't help but beam at my girl, and of course, with some goals fresh on my mind, prompted her to do some writing with me.  She was reluctant, then excitedly grabbed the box of wooden sticks and got to work.

One of Ainsley's biggest personal hurdles has been writing her name.  She can do it with me sitting next to her for reassurance.  She can do it up and down and all around, randomly writing the letters as they come to her, ALL over the page.  Whenever she gets to the "s" she shuts down.  That S is so tricky for her. I don't mind any of this.  But she does, so I did my best to help once again.

All I did was sit next to her, prompt her for which letter comes next.  She knew them all, just needed a little look of reassurance and an enthusiastic high five after each success.  At the end she beamed at her popsicle stick name.


Would you like to try to write your name now? I asked with a bit of hesitance, fully expecting the No! I can't do it! It's too hard! Response that I usually get.  But this time my girl smiled and nodded and I jumped for paper and marker.




This time I sat way back, watching casually but keeping my mouth closed.  She paused after the N, took an adorably deep breath and went at that S.  It's the most perfect S I've ever seen her make.  Then, a bit overly confident I think, she wizzed through that easy L and E and made far too many lines for the E.  She was ready to throw in the towel so I quickly jumped in and showed her how to make her whoops into a cute little lined heart.  Satisfied she moved on and quickly finished the rest.  This is the first time Ainsley's written her full name, left to right, letter by letter, without one speck of assistance.  That paper will be up on our wall for quite some time.

Eager for more Ainsley then wanted to paint her name.  Who am I to say no?  With mere minutes before we had to go get Louise I was weary, but she dove in and painted it twice before deciding she'd had enough and wanted to paint a portrait of penguin instead.  Now mixing the perfect penguin color is a story for another day.



Ah, what a great morning with my big girl.  I feel so thankful for this little triumph for us both.  For such positive words heard and such motivation found.  Now she sleeps and I wait for news of Ian's defense.  Is it 3:30 yet? PLEASE?!?!

P.S. I received Ainsley's school photos at her conference today.  I was told she had the biggest grin of them all.  I don't doubt that.




1 comment:

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.