Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Stitch by Stitch, Row by Row

A few years back I was given the book Knitting for Peace as a gift.  I do believe it was the first knitting book that i'd ever owned and it transformed and evolved my making in so many ways.  Not only did it solidify a feeling that making for others is truly amazing, but one particular pattern and it's purpose and creation gripped me and never let go.

It was a prayer shawl.

The end product was simple enough.  A large rectangular piece made of medium gauge yarn and large needles for a flowing lacy effect.  Yet in the instructions, interwoven between purls and knits and line counting was the request for the maker to pray while knitting.

Pray while knitting?  But usually when I knit I'm watching a show, or listening to music, or entertaining my kids, or more likely, staring off into space.  Pray?  How interesting. How, remarkable.  How utterly inspired.

For while the purpose of making is surely to give something, to mark an occasion or festive time, it is, so much more than a store-bought gift, a reminder that you are loved, that you were thought of, that someone cares deeply about you.

And perhaps, while not always a prayer, there are surely thoughts of love and devotion that go into each handmade gift.  I can't help but picture a sweet cherubic face and find my flying fingers sending warm thoughts through the yarn as I knit a christmas pullover for a tiny cousin.  As I place and replace pattern pieces for Ainsley's birthday dress I am of course thinking "what would my girl like the most", "oh my, she's gotten so big", "I just love her so".  And just now this morning when my head was abuzz with anxiety over the bigness of tomorrow I melted butter and sugar in a pan and truly did pray for my boy.

I prayed for those mouths eating that toffee tomorrow to be kind, for the buttery shortbread to warm their souls to the magnificent man standing before them.  And as I cut and arranged it all neatly in a tin and clicked the top on I sealed a bit of my love and confidence in there too.  You got this boy.  We all know you do.

So perhaps that prayer shawl pattern wasn't really so revolutionary after all.  It really was a simple beacon, a reminder of all that goes into something made with two hands and lots of heart.

Because I can't always take away the worry or the hurt.  I can't always make it better or fix it, or guarantee success.  But I can show love and care and do something special, and wrap the ones I love in something that reminds them that they are not alone, that they are cherished and kept close always.


Tomorrow when you open that simple box of treats Ian I hope you feel our love.  I hope you see your sweet Louise swiping a finger-full of decadent dough before I could catch her.  I hope you see Ainsley deviously eyeing the toffee, desperate for a snitch of her own.

I hope you feel surrounded by us all, because we are right there with you.  Good luck sweet boy!  We couldn't be prouder.

And for all you wonderful family and friends out there getting a little homemade love this  Christmas, know that I feel you all right now, and my heart is simply bursting.

1 comment:

  1. Soooo awesome! You're the best Becky! Wishing all the luck to your boy!!!

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.