Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Lots (and lots) of Bits

I'd love to be one of those people that can organize their thoughts in neat little packages, but oh goodness, I am not.  I flit about from this to that in my own mind so it would make sense that my writing is the same.  I've resisted posting the last few days because I'm weary of the EXPLOSION of thoughts and pictures that it will inevitably be.  But there's so much to share these days so I guess I'll just go for it.  I apologize in advance.

First up, Grammy was in town last week!  Oh boy did the girls have a blast.  She brought with her (grammy made!) reindeer nightgowns for the girls and all kinds of snuggles and energy.  She was staying with her parents up in Winnetka but came down twice just to play.  It was especially delightful to me as I had some sort of mild stomach horrific energy sucking bug that necessitated at least one 2-3 hour nap a day.  Grammy to the rescue!  The girls have been sleeping with photos of you ever since Grammy.  We can't wait to see you in Minnesota for Christmas!

she let the girls give her a full out make over, now that's love




Grammy snuggles, But NO Elephants! reading, and frozen berry snacking, 
my girls were in heaven


In other life news the girls were both a bit under the weather last week as well.  Louise had a little tummy bug and Ainsley had a skin reaction to the dry leaves outside.  Our solution? lots of indoor fun, extra snuggles and impromptu naps.  This wonderful cold weather (and first few flurries!) have been a delightful excuse to start our winter hunker down.  We're all a bit smitten.

painting lots of elephants


such a careful color mixer that one is, perhaps the third generation of colorists in the family? (mom?! :o)



Ainsley continues to think she's too big for naps, now I can pull out this photo as proof, that little body still needs some down time in a day


post nap daddy snuggles


frosted window[panes]


my three favorites


And I promise, just because I've fallen off the meal plan posts bandwagon does not mean cooking is not happening.  It's still tricky though.  This little one in my tummy is very abrupt and decisive with what they would and would not like to eat.  My solution this week was to cook lots this weekend.  Stock the fridge with my already made meals and pick and chose as the mood fits.  I had to laugh last night as I pulled my delicious smelling casserole out of the oven and the potatoes were no where NEAR cooked, at 6:30pm mind you.  So I went and grabbed some burgers and we'll eat the now cooked casserole tonight. (note to self, always ALWAYS par cook potatoes when putting them in a casserole...1.5 hours is way too long to wait for dinner)

Through this annoying cooking rut has surely come some good.  It's enabled me to focus on what's really important at meal time, truthfully one of my favorite times in our day, as hard and exhausting as it can be.  Ainsley prays while we all clasp and bow heads.  I light candles and their glow calms us all a bit.  We share stories and smiles and when the girls inevitably finish eons before us adults Ian and I get a rare moment alone while they play.  What we eat doesn't matter so much as all of this.


Sunday prep, Marzetti's Spaghetti Pie from Joy of Cooking (SO good!)


Pioneer Woman's Ham and Potato Casserole


even uncooked it looks delicious


In the crafting world things are finally looking up.  I'll openly admit that last week I was worried.  REAL worried.  I made the grave mistake of counting all of projects that I have to complete by the 25th of next month and lets just say I was being absurdly conservative when I said "over 20" on facebook.  It's A LOT.  On top of it all after two mere weeks of feeling mostly ok and normal I felt horrible last week and was truly worried that this was just going to be how I felt for the rest of this pregnancy.  I was so tired that one day I had to call Ian to come home from work and just slept for three hours at 4pm.  It wasn't pretty.  

But then whatever it was passed, I refocused and reminded myself that I do really ENJOY all of this making (and all that amazing fabric I just bought isn't going to sew itself), and I went for it.  I know I can't keep this pace for the next 6 weeks, but it gives me hope, and more importantly excitement.  This making stuff for people I love thing is catching, amazingly wonderfully catching.

First up, a dress for Louise.  Unbeknownst to Ainsley she will have the exact same one, just a bit wider and longer (hence me trying Louise's dress on her, clever, yes? :o).  Oh how I love still being able to pull the wool over her eyes just a bit.  And can I just say that I would eagerly don a replica of this dress in my own size?  I do believe it's the cutest thing I've ever made.




a few new techniques on this one, double stitched elastic casing, 
lends for a bit of a ruffle just at the edge, LOVE.


also a double stitch wide hemline, I'll be able to let this skirt out a good 2" if need be, 
brilliance I tell you


And to keep motivation going?  A little something for myself.

I don't foresee me having to purchase many if any maternity clothes this pregnancy.  I got so large with Louise that I'm banking on starting off a good 10 pounds behind with this one, as well as all those clothes I've accumulated from my two previous pregnancies to keep me well covered.

Still, there is something about this growing, enlarging time that is tricky.  I'm not a vain lady, nor a fussy one when it comes to my looks, but it's hard all the same to watch your body grow so at times.  My perfect solution this time around?  Why, make something I love that should fit me right through the end.

  I introduce you to my new favorite outfit.

photo courtesy of Ainsley


This is the raglan sleeve top from Modern Sewing, lengthened to the tunic size.  I made it with the most beautiful luscious flannel I've ever encountered, In the Clearing by Anna Maria Horner.  I've been salivating over this fabric since last winter and decided that growing our new little one was the perfect excuse to indulge myself. I'm so glad I did.




Tied at the waist (while I still have one left!) it fits me just perfectly, with lots of room to spare for the growing months ahead.  The beautiful double gathered neckline stretches easily and I can see this as the perfect I need to be comfy but don't want to look frumpy maternity and nursing top.  I may have to make one or two more with fabric from my stash.  It was so easy to make and so fun to wear. 
Ok, now back to all the holiday magic.

With my most recent project finally off the needles (so much I can't share on here!) I knew I had to motivate to get a new thing going right away.  I'd wanted to make these elf hats last year but had no time to do it.  This year I ordered the book from the library early, found the perfect yarn in my stash and am already two hats in.  I won't say who these are for, but i'm making (hopefully) seven, so, if you know our family, you may be able to guess who will be enjoying these very soon.

More Last Minute Knitted Gifts


I'm sorry, I had WAY too much fun trying to photograph myself in this hat




Big sigh.  So it's getting done.  One thing at a time.  One stitch, one row, one pattern, one cut, one seam, one pulled out seam, one seam.  In the end it's all so worth it, really it already is.  I feel so much joy and excitement building.  I'll keep you posted!

And last but not least, my boy.  My ALMOST PhD boy.  In his words, if the defense goes well on Thursday the committee signs some papers and unless he passes out or goes insane during his open defense in Decemeber he's got it.  He's DONE!

I have never seen my boy so stressed out or tired.  Yesterday I caught him roaming around the house with crazy wide eyes, rubbing his scratchy beard, aimless and anxious.  I calmly suggested a bike ride at the club today and a sauna, to get those jitters out a bit.  Then I looked in his wise blue grey eyes and just felt so proud.  Perhaps it's wrong, but when you've worked so hard and you are such an amazing good person, I think a little pride is ok. We are so proud Ian.  Our little PhD.

The upside to all of the stress of the past months is all the celebrating we've been able to do.  A banquet for Ian and I, breakfast out with the girls after a successful big talk.  This weekend we look forward to dinner downtown with dear friends and I have a little something up my sleeve for a combo Christmas graduation gift for my deserving guy.  And on top of it all?  Ian's still amazing.  Taking the girls on their outings, being sympathetic to me and my growing self.  I'm pretty ridiculously impressed.

All fancy for St Albert's Day




celebratory breakfast at Flat Top


daddy daughter park date




downtown aquarium date with Louise


a little solo Ainsley time


So there it is.  All those crazy lots of bits.  You're pretty much caught up.  We're focused on Thursday.  Ainsley's parent teacher conference in the morning, Ian's defense in the afternoon, hopefully a whole lot of family celebrating on Friday and throughout the weekend before all the festivities of Thanksgiving next week.

We are feeling it all right now.  Blessed and stressed, full and good.  Thanks for all of the prayers and well wishes.  Our little family is so incredibly lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.