Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Homebirth

Last night, driving home from our first consultation with our new midwife, Ian and I were both very much on cloud nine.  He patted my thigh and we chatted happily about our enthusiastic, smart, very experienced caretaker, who gave me a warm hug at the end of our visit and Ian a firm handshake (how is it possible she already knows us so well?)

After savoring our delight for a few minutes more Ian said so, should we keep the homebirth quiet?

This surprised me a bit, I will admit.  I asked him why and he responded that surely people will have opinions about this choice we've made.  I am typically a person who avoids confrontation, keep my opinions mostly to myself because they are just that. MY opinions.  But in a society where babies are predominantly born in hospitals, I feel strongly about representing a different viewpoint, one that I feel strongly about and most of all, feels so right for our family and this baby.

From the moment I knew we wanted another little one in our family I also knew that this time around I wanted a homebirth.  There were so many things about Louise's pregnancy and birth that were disappointing to me.  That just because I had a short cervix and a positive fetal fibronectin test I was put on strict bedrest for 7 weeks, given painful steroid injections four separate times, and all without any real signs of false or premature labor on my part.  Then at the hospital my baby was taken away from me at 4 hours old because she wasn't eating.  They found her oxygen levels to be "just below normal" and once she was hooked up they started a round of antibiotics without my consent for pneumonia that she did not have.  I was not allowed to try and feed my baby even though hours after they took her her little mouth was searching for my milk.

Even thinking about it now I am so sad and angry because it all was so unnecessary.  My little one was breathing fine on her own with oxygen levels ALWAYS in the 90s.  We were never given a satisfying explanation for what was wrong.  That pain and anguish we all went through, having to leave our sweet baby in the hospital for four days was completely unnecessary and all because of the hoops the hospital made us jump through.  I am determined not to have any of that happen again if I can help it.

Plus I don't want drugs, have never used even an IV in my deliveries.  My body has babies easily and recovers well.  The whole process just feels so natural for me, I can't imagine a better place to experience this baby's entry into the world.  We all know what a homebody I am :o).

So I welcome any questions you may have, feel confident that I have the answers.  Know that Ian and I have thought through this carefully, asked the hard questions and feel 100% confident in this decision.  Of course there's a long road to travel before birth day, but I can't help but gush.  I already can't wait. (can you remind me of this excitement around month 7?  I feel I'm going to need it :o)

Thank you all for your continued support.  Our little growing family is so thankful and blessed.

6 comments:

  1. ...who gave me a warm hug at the end of our visit and Ian a firm handshake (how is it possible she already knows us so well?) I loved this :) Congrats and I hope you get the birth you are dreaming of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll still be as excited at 7 months as you are today because this is a whole new experience! Let me know if you need help figuring out what to get to prepare and/or anything else for that matter :). April births are awesome! (With Lucy's I got to spend a few hours of labor going for a walk behind our house..beautiful weather!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky, I fully support your decision. I feel very similarly and look forward to having a non-traditional birth as well. Your story with Louise only furthers my resolve. Thank you for sharing. I really hope that you feel better! This baby is so lucky to be born into such an caring and wonderful family! Send my love to Ian and the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you going to get your own birthing tub? There was a huge controversy importing them from China or somewhere not too long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The midwife has a tub that we use. We just have to get some of the little odds and ends. It's kind of amazing all the stuff they bring along with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy for you two and know that this is the right choice! Cannot wait to hear how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.