Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Apple Dolls!

After weeks of agonizing, waiting and watching (and eventual hiding so my girls wouldn't go insane with impatience), our apple heads that once looked like this...



were FINALLY perfectly squunched and dried and ready to be made into delightful little old lady dolls.

I of course did not take an after picture of just the plain apples heads, but let me assure you, they look amazing.

We first sat down with our afternoon tea (ginger for mama, herbal with frozen berries for the girls), my old drawing board, paper and crayons and drew out what we wanted our dolls to look like.


Then we made tiny plush bodies out of ovals of muslin, stuffed with cotton, pipe cleaner arms and legs, and hair from wool roving, glued right on top.


The girls each chose fabric from my scrap bag for a simple dress.  And by simple I mean I didn't even hem them.  Ah, I really love those pinking shears some days.


To attach the fragile bodies to the heads I inserted a wooden skewer deep in the apple, cut it to the length of the body, put lots of tacky glue all over the base of the head and the skewer and attached the body.  They seem to be holding up well!

And well, the girls are kind of in love, that's all that matters...




Apple Dolls!  This may have to be a new fall tradition of ours.

1 comment:

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.