Monday, July 25, 2011

I remember Monday's in college. Recovering from a weekend of early mornings working at the coffee shop and late nights with friends. A part of me always joined in with the "ugh...MONDAYS!" sentiment, but truthfully I've always loved them.

I thrive with a schedule, when I have things to do and places to go. I so struggle with a balance of laze and activity. I need my Mondays to get my engine roaring.

Today was one of those great Mondays reminding me why they've always held a special place in my heart.

It started off with Louise sleeping past her 5:30 am wake up need a bottle routine time. I got up rested (what?!) at 6:45 to a happy dumpling and a quiet house. We snuggled and talked and giggled and snuggled some more until Ainsley and Ian joined us a bit later.

After a quick breakfast we jumped in the car to get some groceries, our normal Monday morning errand. I of course strayed from my very specific list as per usual, but only a bit, including some yummy dried mango and pita chips that I couldn't resist. I love coming home with bags full of delicious food just waiting to be cooked and eaten. This week the plan is to make some big salads, both potato and pasta, and grill. I'm also going to try my hand at heuvos rancheros tonight. I find that trying new things keeps cooking fun for me, but I've learned to be realistic too and plan at least two nights for leftovers or grilled cheese.

Ainsley was in rare form at the store. She threw her first tantrum while in the cart, absolutely BESIDE herself that I wouldn't let her hold ALL of the groceries in the seat with her. Oh goodness. When we got home the rage continued. She's been one fiesty little sister these past few days.

I decided that we all needed some good outdoor time. I pitched Ainsley's tent and filled the pool, I weeded and trimmed as she raked and splashed. Then she played in her car and I became the gas station bubble attendant (shooting bubbles into the gas "tank" of her car).

Then I decided to really go out of the box and suggest outloud that we try going to the pool. Just us three, no second adult in tow. I explained over and over to Ainsley how important it was that she listen to mama, that if she ran away even once or disobeyed we would leave immediately. I have been so reticent to try the pool alone with the girls mostly for their safety but also for my sanity. I didn't think it'd be any fun trying to keep the two of them happy and safe all by myself. But we had a blast. I had Ainsley in floaties so if she did decide to get away from me we were prepared. She listened so well and was really happy to just jump in the baby pool over and over and over. Louise of course splashed happily on my hip. Next time I'm going to bring her baby float to give her a bit more freedom.

An hour later we were on our way home, drenched and exhuasted. We ate a quick lunch and two hours later both of the girls are still down and out.

I used naptime to get some things done. Made dentists appointments for myself and Ainsley (her very first one!), signed her up for playschool this fall (two days a week! I can hardly believe it...), caught up on emails, made reservations for Ian's and my traditional anniversary brunch at the Deer Path Inn (4 years of marriage deserves a little champagne and sushi, right?) and inquired about musikgarten for the girls for the fall.

I love feeling productive and organized. After I get my car looked at tomorrow in preparation for our solo trip north I'll feel ready to go!

So see, I like Mondays, because if they're really good, like today, it makes the whole week shape up so nice and smooth.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.