Sunday, August 16, 2015

Food This Week 8/17

If it ain't broke don't fix it, right?  Isn't that the phrase?  All of this excitement about school starting and life revamping has got me thinking, when was the last time I was in a really great groove.  You know, with life in general.

I keep going back to before Felix was born.  Running that ragnar race, making ALL of our gifts that one year, living on a crazy tight budget.  Looking back I think, girl you rocked it!  What the HELL happened!!!  His name is Felix and he's super cute and worth it all, but man oh man you guys, post pardum depression/angst/panic/phobia etc. etc.  It's no joke.

Now that I'm on the other side I'm trying to shake hands with that old Becky or at least wave at her vigorously from within the same room.  As much as I want to jump in with my nose plugged and an excited face (like Felix in the pool today) I'm  taking my baby steps.

Step One.  Get Sleep.  Thank you two year old Felix for FINALLY CONSISTENTLY sleeping through the night.  Check.

Step Two.  Make yourself exercise.  I know it's the worst thing ever when all you do it haul kids around and stand in the sweaty sun at parks and push a gigantic stroller and yell at the girls to not get hit by cars on their bikes, but that doesn't count. MOVE YOUR BODY. Check.

Step Three.  Make delicious healthy food. No matter what.  Don't give in to convenience or convention or what's easy that moment.  Plan, buy, suck it up. DO IT.  Working on that check.

We've gotten into a terrible take out groove.  Our budget never allowed it in the golden years, but somehow it just happened.  It's the one adult achilles heel that we're REALLY bad at.  I don't by clothes or books or make up, or go to the salon or get massages but WE GET TAKE OUT.  Guys, it's so easy and good.  It's so so bad.

I am in a total food rut and I'm ready to dig myself out.

This all to say that today I saw the light.  I ate my fiber bar for breakfast and drank my protein drink for lunch and ALL my water and ate my delicious neighbor made dinner with friends and I am ready for this. It's all on my awesome new lined giant post it pad.  I got this.

Food This Week
All recipes by Ellie Krieger, my new Goddess.
  Have you heard of her?  I've been intrigued for a while but the basics are that she's a dietician food network host who makes all this delicious family friendly food, but makes it good for you.  I feel like I've had a small religious experience perusing her recipes today.  I can't wait for dinner this week.

Chinese Chicken Salad

Roasted Turkey Breast with Scalloped Potatoes and steamed green beans

Tuna Casserole

Herbed Pork Tenderloin and strawberry mozzarella salad

Sloppy Joes with sweet potato fries

Sweet potato hash and eggs with sautéed spinach

Snacks and Breakfasts: Breakfast cookies, apple muffins, Nutty granola
  The girls and I chose some things to test drive for school breakfasts.  Ainsley's been sleeping until 8 and school STARTS at 8 so mornings may get tight around here.  I wanted to have things they could eat on the walk to school if need be.

So I'll keep you posted.  I'm pumped.  And that feeling alone feels pretty good.
Happy cooking this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.