Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Cost Of Christmas

This happens almost every year.  Just as I start seeing uber organized parents/people proclaim "all done with shopping!  Presents all wrapped! Time to sit back and enjoy the season!" I go into full panic mode.

It's not really that I have so much left to do.  Plotted out and evenly spaced in the 2+ weeks I have left it all seems very manageable.  But then there's the kids, and the house, and this baby I'm growing and well, it's all feeling like a bit much.


So last night, half to motivate me, half out of sheer curiosity I decided to determine how much this "making stuff" for Christmas is saving us this year.

I started with last year.  Oh boy.  Even though I already knew the number it was shocking to see it again.  And it's not really like we went overboard.  20+ family members, a husband, two kids.  Christmas cost us a LOT.  Then add printed Christmas cards, a fresh tree, a few new sparkly duds for the occasion, and all that butter for delicious baking?  you've got yourself one ginormous splurge.  Oh and lets not forget the cost of wrapping all these gifts.  These things matter.

So this year I was really excited about the prospect of saving lots while still maintaining that awe of the holiday.  I still wanted gifts to be good and wanted, delicious food and fun new clothes.  But I'm not naive to the costs of crafting.  Have you ever splurged at michaels?  bought yards and yards of fabric and notions at one time?  It's EXPENSIVE.  Even with coupons and discounts we're talking lots and lots of money.

I won't lie, it hasn't been easy.  While there have been times where I'll splurge on some really nice fabric for the girls, or go buy a few notions at our local fabric store, REALLY saving money by making things takes a lot of planning, and patience.

But apparently all that work paid off.  Because this year?  Our Christmas grand total is around $400 (less than half of what we spent last year).  And this INCLUDES that amazing dollhouse, furnished with goki wooden furniture and custom handmade dollhouse dolls. (the dollhouse has since gone a bit up in price, we paid $80 plus $15 shipping and I got the furniture on a cyber monday sale for over half off).  Our average spent per person plunged from $20 to about $5, with some gifts coming out FREE thanks to my well stocked fabric closet.

And as for those splurges?  I'm only human.  But all this savings makes those cute new outfits for the girls worth it (I can't recall the last time I shopped at a retail store for clothes for the girls), and makes a few new hardback books from our local shop possible.

So just as I was starting to proclaim I'll never do this again!  This is too much work!  WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?! My faith and motivation have been fully restored.  Plus?  I'm REALLY excited about everything I'm making.  And can't wait to share once the gifts have been opened. 

So, the cost of Christmas?  Not really so much this year.  Lots of time and love surely, but isn't that really what it's all about? and in my humble opinion? makes for the best and most meaningful holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.