Thursday, December 13, 2012

Great Week

I had every intention of using this hour and a half of mine WELL this morning.  I came home and got all set up with my second tiny cup of coffee, leftover scone from yesterday and some embroidery in desperate need of finishing.  Then, I sunk into this deep double chair and decided any "work" could wait, and what I need most this morning is to just sit and waste a little time.

This week has been so good, SO full.  I've been feeling amazing.  The only real indication of this little banana sized person I'm carrying around are the many kicks and tight shirts.  I have energy and stamina and motivation and patience.  I'm soaking it in while I can.

Then last night while we took our last bites of tuna pasta Ian and I both glanced at each other.  We need a night off.  

To stop and think rationally about the last 6 months of our lives is to acknowledge all the craziness.  The late nights and early mornings, long long days in between and two little girls who are thriving and growing, not ever knowing how tired and worn out their parents are.

Ok, perhaps they're a little worn out too


So we took a night off.  I watched some half hour show WITHOUT knitting or needlepoint on my lap, then went to bed at 9.  Ian went over his talk once in the basement then joined me for early slumber.  We both slept so deep and long that the girls' arousal at 7 seemed shockingly early.

I find myself still in the "off" mode.  My body and mind feel tired.  Still, there is much to do and lots of fun to have.  My overwhelming emotions right now are contentment and thankfulness.  Tomorrow my boy defends his research for the final time and I'll get to be there to hear him speak on his expertise.  We celebrate tomorrow night just us two and this weekend?  Well, I see lots of deep sighs and happy grins in our future. Oh, and of course lots of "hey they Dr. Vaagenes." "How are you Dr. Vaagenes?" "Can I get you anything Dr. Vaagenes?" Because that long awaited title is too fun not to overuse.

Then next week we pack up and ship out for the holidays.  My delight and joy in making every single thing we're giving is overwhelmingly wonderful to me.  That I've planned and worked hard enough that this last week can also be filled with lots of "normal" and fun?  Amazing, and VERY unexpected.

Thankfully there's been lots of normal in our days lately, woven in with the festivities and extraordinary fun.  This time of life for our little family is so special and so filled with change and emotion.  I know I'll always look back on it with great fondness.

crafting for the girls' advent stockings, one of my new favorite nighttime activities


decorating an edible christmas wreath (that lasted all of 12 hours)


helping daddy with his own elving, a little circuit lesson thrown in for fun


elf hats and kittens on auntie sonya's phone


indoor rollerskate practice


post jammie walk smiles


post jammie walk cocoa and tree smiles


mama's little helpers, excited about a new project


all ready for school, but first?  a little fun by the tree




Ah, this tired.  It's a good one.  A well deserved, contented kind of tired.  I've had such a wonderful week with the girls.  They are so big and delightful my heart bursts nearly every moment.  I can't wait to celebrate my boy's PhD tomorrow, to spend the weekend sewing final seams and wrapping wrapping away.  I am so excited for next week.  Christmas parties and birthday celebrations for my girls, a viewing of our newest little one for the first time, then a long joyous trip north to celebrate my favorite time of the year.

I feel like I need to be pinched.  So much joy.

in case you wonder how I'm able to get things done... 


why, I'm just blessed with two little girls...


who are SO very good at keeping themselves entertained :o).


I hope you're all having a great week!  We sure are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.