Monday, August 31, 2015

First Day

It's the first day of school today.  I'm finding I'm short with words right now because I can't quite wrap my mind around how I feel; mainly SO different from this time last year.

Today there was a boy struggling with the kindergarten transition.  It was time for parents to leave after the first hour and man did I feel for him (and his mom).  I felt like that boy last year.  I wanted to kick and scream at the changes that felt forced upon me.  And I went through that to a lesser degree with Ainsley for 3.5 years.  Every drop off for school or activities was the worst experience of my life.

But today?  That big girl walked with her dad and brother, spied a friend, and all but forgot he was there.  Ian had to seek her out to give her a final hug.  And Louise?  Why my just turned 5 year old was DISMAYED, no, EMBARRASSED, even that mom was joining her for the first hour of school.  "I'll think about it mom.  I guess I'll probably say yes."  Why thanks Louise, don't do me any favors now!  Haha.

I had such a great morning with my girls.  Making waffles, helping do their hair, finding matching long enough bike shorts to wear under their vintage dresses.  There wasn't one raw nerve among us this morning.  It felt grand.






After doing a project with Louise and listening to a story and meeting all the friends in her class (more girls than boys this year!) I kissed my sweet cheeked girl and walked home, alone.  Felix has been asking all morning where his sisters are.  "Wheya Asey mommy?  Whey Luleez go?"  Poor little guy. He's missing his pals.  I'm looking forward to getting errands done as quickly as I can this week so we can enjoy our mornings together.  One last week of splash pads before they close this weekend.  Two more weeks with 5 mornings with my guy then he too starts his school adventure.

Today feels wonderful and strange.  Felix was up way too early so he's been napping since 11:30.  Now that my children are off and settling in their new routine I'm excited for my own reboot of sorts. For the first time in months I'll have daylight hours to think and breathe and do.  I'm excited to make my own plan and have the space and energy for some things just for me.

Here's to another wonderful year and to a day brimming with joy and hope and a little bit of peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.