Sunday, August 23, 2015

Summer Wind Down

 I'm having a hard time pinpointing what it is about this summer, these last few months of life, but whatever it is, it's working and I'm happy to go with that.



















I'm excited about cooking again, and floored and pleased that rigorous meal planning is working really well.  I'd forgotten the magic of having every item in the fridge have a purpose, slowly emptying into delicious dishes.  Not wasting, not wanting, yummy healthy homemade things brewing all the time.  Yum good.

While I loved all the meals last week some of my favorites turned out to be the baked goods.  I LOVE to bake.  It's been a hobby of mine since I was a kid and now something I love to share with my children, an activity we all enjoy together.  BUT it's mostly SO BAD FOR YOU.  Butter and sugar and refined flour and well, only so much of that can be justified.  Plus it's the one thing I really struggle with portion control on.  I don't think I've ever eaten just ONE cookie.  Have you?
The recipes I tried for breakfast cookies, apple muffins, maple glazed walnuts, and granola were all spectacular.  Just as good as the really bad for you ones and much healthier.  I still miss a good chocolate chip cookie, but that can happen some time right?

This next week I'm dialing back a bit.  I ended up making Smitten's Tomato pie with corn and cheese on Saturday (one of the best summer fresh things (I've ever made) so I still have the ingredients for the baked shrimp with tomatoes and feta.  Louise wants take out pad thai for her birthday and now that the girls have started dance I'm needing something super quick/already made for Tuesdays when we don't get home until almost 6.

Veggie Strata
leftover Roasted turkey breast and scalloped potatoes (for Tuesday)
New Pot Pad Thai (YUM!)
Pork tenderloin and black bean chili
Baked Shrimp with Feta and Tomatoes and whole wheat cous cous and zucchini

I'm hoping for another farmer's market inspired creation next weekend.  The tomatoes and corn are at their peak and I want to take advantage.  I have some fish and chicken in the freezer so I may just see if we can make do, AND next week the girls start school so I get to grocery shop WITH JUST FELIX.  So the world will have turned itself right again.  Ahhhhhhhhh.

In other summer wind down news?  We're entering the busy season.  The kids are all (finally!) signed up for fall activities and dance already started last week.  We're at a new studio this year and spent all of Tuesday shopping for the light blue attire they needed, new shoes and tights and skirts to boot.  Getting my girls fitted for their first proper dance shoes and trying on tiny adorable leotards was so much fun.  As much as I love finding new traditions and fun with my children I do love sharing my childhood joys with them as well.  Dance was such a big part of my life as a kid, I am smitten they're giving it  a true go.  (and the studio has cameras so we can WATCH them in class.  Seeing Ainsley and Louise do barre work? and beam with pride after jetes across the floor? amazing)

After a week of checking off to dos every night, Louise's birthday photo book, check, friend's new baby knitting and sewing, check, cleaning out 8 garbage bags and 5 boxes of books to donate, check, I am ready to dive into Louise's birthday full throttle.
Last minute errands for decorations and party favors, then decorating and getting my rhyming hat on for some treasure hunt clues (always a bit harder than I think it's going to be!)

It can be a hard juggle when the pull is to be outside every moment, let my children lead the way for their last full week of summer break.   I find we can still get it all in if we rally.

I'm thankful for one whole more week of summer. Easily filled with parties and playdates, birthday fun and the start of beloved fall activities.  This gorgeous breezy 70 degree weather is certainly icing on the cake.  Let's go out with a bang summer!




No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.