Sunday, January 13, 2013

New Craft

Typically after a big crafting surge I take a break.  For as much as I crave and love making, it's a lot of work.  I fondly remember those late summer/early fall days of 2012 with free time spent freely, rather than in front of the sewing machine or fingers cramping from knitting.  Ah, joy.

If I'm honest I was nervous about Christmas.  The one time I did sit down to list it all out the number of "must makes" was ridiculous, IMPOSSIBLE!  Then something kind of all Christmas magicy and wonderful and miraculous happened, I loved it.  

I usually love the beginning of making.  Cutting out new patterns and exciting fabric, knitting that first sock, those first precarious rows, coming up with a new idea and delving in.  That's where it's at for me.  The beginning, the excitement!  But then at some point along the way it becomes work. Finicky seams needing redoing and lots of concentration, blocking and finishing and weaving in pesky ends.  It will amuse you to know that a sweater I made for my nephew was the first gift I started way back in August and one of the absolute last to be completed because I just could not bring myself to sew all those pieces together.  Oh Becky.

But then some flip switched.  I kept waiting for it to be hard, bothersome, BLAH!  But it wasn't.  It wasn't at all.  

Of course I forgot to take photos of MANY of the gifts given.  Just imagine velveteen and satin infinity scarves, wool socks, patchwork baby balls, bo peep skirts, a green roll collar toddler boy sweater, and silk fairy wings...I know you can

















I can tell I really loved it because it was all sort of, easy.  No late nights, no worry that things wouldn't get finished, that they weren't good enough.  Somehow in this past year of making I've settled into a groove.  Having a project (or 5) on the sewing desk, cast on needles in the basket, a notebook filled with lists of ideas, shelves full of patterns...it's become like my morning coffee.  It's just something I do, without thought, with great pleasure, with a bit of decadence.

Good thing too really because oh boy, is there lots to make.  Spring sweaters and sundresses for my growing girls, FINALLY those much anticipated mama made quilts, curtains galore, even a sweater vest for my no longer a student all grown up workin' boy.  And, oh wait, that baby that's making their appearance in a few months, I suppose they need, deserve, a few things of their own.

And may I just note I am having SO much fun getting creative with the whole gender neutral thing.  Who says you need to stick to butter yellow and seafoam green?




 fabric laid our for Louise's log cabin squares quilt  made entirely from her daddy's old shirts and fabric scraps from her babyhood (birthday dresses, crib bumper, summer pants and mama's skirts) Ah, I'm excited for this one, and that soft floral pallet?  That's so my girl.


So this making now?  It's kind of mindless.  My autopilot has switched.  My go to is now my well stocked fabric and yarn closet, not Target or online sales.  When I need more materials I go to the closet or thrift store (umm, except for that new baby's blanket up there, that surely was a splurge of the best possible kind, but all of this kiddos new pants, sweaters, socks and bonnets?  all made entirely from my stash)

I'm only a few years into this and I already love the history it's creating   That as I was sifting through fabrics for the girls' quilts tonight there were so many memories woven in among that cotton and flannel.

Last night the girls and I opened up their summer clothes bin to sift through duds they may have outgrown to give to their littler cousin.  Ainsley gasped with glee and she pulled out favorite dresses and skirts from last season.  Each one was handmade, either by myself or my mom.  This Christmas?  all of my sisters got in on the making as well.  When we craft the girls don the most ADORABLE cotton aprons (that double as handled bags!) made by my big sis.  When we cook?  Louise gets to wear a full on chefs hat and embellished apron made by my younger sister.  When we drink coffee in the morning?  We get to put our hot mugs on handmade coasters by my youngest sister.  And when the girls get dressed in the morning?  For bed?  For playtime?  They are bombarded with the cutest, loveliest choices all made by hands that love them. 

This crafting is catching, and I do believe it's here to stay.





No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.