Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Holidays 2012

Oh boy.  We're back!  One of my only regrets of this trip (in retrospective thought on the 7 hour drive home) was that I didn't think i'd taken enough photos.  As you will see shortly, this was certainly NOT the case.  Thank goodness too because it was a wonderful trip and one I know I'll always remember.  My big girl's FOURTH birthday, the first Christmas that both of my girls may actually remember together, so much fun with family and friends, and the most wonderful vacation alone with my boy.  Ah, I'm still soaking it all in.

First, a few photos from the week before our trip.  Oh that blissful week with our doctor boy, holiday preparation and bright winter sun.

::deep in holiday prep mode::

                      

::zoo and park dates with daddy:




 :: a little pre-holiday feast::


::one last run and post run workout with my girl 
(take note on how much larger my belly has gotten in the two weeks since this photo was taken)::



:: football Sunday with out favorite Chicago Oles (these two made the trek out to Loyola for Ian's defense, by train, by bus, on foot...what great friends)::


::Ian's not the only one who can work a bowtie::


::morning sister snuggles::




::celebrating Ainsley's birthday a bit early::



 Ok, now that that's out of the way, onto the trip!

We headed out a day early to beat a snowstorm that rocked Wisconsin the day we'd planned to travel.  It was a good decision all around.  Because of our early departure I was forced to only focus on the bare minimum, the absolute necessities.  Well that and I was dealing with the most severe round ligament/hip pain I've ever felt for about a week straight.  I could hardly walk for days.  It was rough.  So our house was a bit unkempt, but other than that we all made it in one piece with everything we needed.  I'd call it a success!

:: ah, car trip naps::


First stop was Nana and Grandpa Dan's.  We had a little mini Christmas with them and enjoyed a bit of calm before the flurry of the holidays really set in.





After a night the girls and I headed to my parents' in Minnetonka.  I thought Ian could use a couple of days to recoup in quiet at his childhood home and the girls and I had a blast.

::traditional Cub foods donut eating::



::Nutcracker! with Connor, Auntie Kelly, Auntie Joojie, Auntie Jenny and Grammy.  I promise Ainsley had a blast, she's just a stinker for pictures sometimes ;o)::


::my littlest ballerina::



:: intermission dance off::



Ian came to join us the day before Ainsley's birthday and before we knew it the day was upon us.  Ainsley's only request for her birthday was her penguin cake again so of course I indulged.  We brought a few simple decorations from home, set up her birthday tree (which she decorated almost entirely herself this year) made the most gigantic vat of homemade macaroni I've ever seen and that was that!  It was such a wonderful low key celebration for my big girl.  I still can't believe she's 4.  FOUR!










::surely the highlight for my birthday girl (and all her cousins) was when popped pulled out a cardboard box filled with 144 ping pong balls and let them loose.  Their favorite was dumping them from the second story staircase to the foyer below.  thanks Uncle Simmy for this priceless shot of my girl.  Moments before, her little head straining through the rungs to see the balls drop she declared "this is the best birthday ever!".  Thanks Pop.  What a memorable fun day::







After an afternoon of rest and play with new prized toys and books we dolled up for Christmas Eve at Ian's Aunt and Uncle's house who just happen to live about 4 minutes from my parents place.  Its become a wonderful tradition of delicious Swedish/Norwegian fare and family.  Yum!







Then back to Grammy and Pop's for Christmas.  We donned our most festive jammies, carefully selected only the best of the best cookies and carrots for Santa and his reindeer then sat down to write out letters to the jolly old elf.  Ainsley asked for her Millie doll, and perhaps a friend for her to play with.  She reminded Santa that she'd been as good as she could and that she loves him.  Then signed her name and placed it by the fire. Then sweet Louise sprawled out on her tummy and got to work on her letter.  Dear Santa, I'd like a toy.  I love you.  I love Mommy and Daddy and Ainsley.  I love Pop and Grammy and Auntie Joojie and Uncle Simmy.  I love Nana and Grandpa Dan.  I love Aida and Connor and Griffin.  I love...the list went on and on.  What a sweet precious Christmas moment.  Then Ainsley asked Auntie Joojie to read the Night before Christmas and snuggled up for the familiar tale while Louise still wrote away.  Then we retreated to the girls room, read the nativity story, sang Christmas hymns and kissed our little sugar plums goodnight.





The only glitch of Christmas came later that night when Ainsley snuck down, of course AFTER Santa had arrived, wanting help with a flashlight gone haywire.  I swooped her up and brought her upstairs.  Oh mommy, I'm so sorry that I ruined Christmas. Oh Ainlsey girl, you didn't ruin Christmas but you need to stay in bed.  It's so important that you stay in bed, especially in Christmas, or you'll ruin your surprises! Ok mommy, but you know what mommy?  I really hope that dollhouse is for me, because you know, I really wanted a dollhouse.

Oh brother.

Come Christmas morning there were no more questions about how the magical gifts got there, only delight and awe in the day.  Thank goodness for that.



After a full crazy morning of present opening, playing and brunch the girls crashed.  Big time.  Ainsley fell asleep while we all ate dinner so Ian swooped her up and put her to bed at 6:15.  She slept for 12 hours.  I don't think that child has ever slept for 12 hours.  Christmas was THAT good.




The next day after some tidying and brief packing Ian and I took off for the great city of Duluth.  I think I was almost more excited about our trip than the holidays this year.  Our first extended time alone together in 4 years, after the fall we've had and the spring to come?  It was the best Christmas gift I could have asked for.

We stayed in Canal Park at a beautiful hotel.  We walked nearly everywhere, only getting in the car once to explore one morning.  We ate so well, relaxed lots and reveled in the quiet and calm.  I can still almost taste that smoked salmon from northern waters and those beer battered fries and fish tacos from Fitgers.  Who knew Duluth was such a culinary (and microbrewery) destination?  Ah.  It was marvelous.



















After two days and nights of bliss we headed back to the mayhem, I mean, our children :o). The girls had so much fun with my mom and dad they were reluctant to leave, but eventually we got packed up, hugged all around and headed for our last leg of the trip back to St Paul.  This time Ian's brother and our neices were in town so the house was full.  It was fun to have cousins meet and play and enjoy all that lucious Minnesota snow.


::didn't I tell you to keep andeye out for that belly?  Oh goodness, 23 weeks and I look every one of them::



Just yesterday we packed up for good and headed home.  I'll admit it felt almost bizarre to be back after so long away.  I always have these irrational fears that our house will be burned down or all our posessions will be missing but we're back and all is right and good.  Now if only those bills would pay themselves, but all that ick of adult re-entry does not belong in this cheery holiday post.  No no.

We all slept so well in our own beds and are enjoying this cold bright day back in our home.  The girls have been occupied all morning happily, joyously playing with their new treasures.  Watercolor paints and Madeline dolls, tea sets and books.  Now old lovies have been found and a favorite show is playing and somehow in less than 12 hours, we're back, just as we were.  It's a whole lot of work, this holiday travel, but so worth it every time.

Happy New Year to you all!


P.S. when we said goodbye to family the most frequent farewell I got was See you when the baby's born! Oh my, is it THAT soon?  I suppose it nearly is.  It's going to be a great new year.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! That is a lot of packing for two little ones and multiple destinations... good job! The ping pong ball idea is so cool - I'll have to remember that for Ole. Sorry about the round ligament pain - man that is the worst!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking from Canal Park to Fitger's along the boardwalk is one of my favorite things to do when we go to Duluth in the summer. Welcome back! We'll come see you all soon.

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.