Thursday, January 24, 2013

Little Corners

Hello friends.  It's been a few days.  While finding the time and combined motivation to post seems lacking these days I'm just itching to get a few things out here.  Life lately has been really really good.

First off, my girls.  I've found myself frantically searching for paper and pencil often lately to record the daily hilarities going on around here.  Today while I was cleaning out the craft cupboard Ainsley took it upon herself to dump out a bag of feathers on the ground.  I was exasperated to say the least.  But mama, I just wanted to make a feather puddle she said in the sweetest saddest little way.  I couldn't help but chuckle.  And last night at dinner?  Why Louise got down from the table looked me straight in the face and said  Mama, I don't need these anymore, ok?! and proceeded to take her underpants off.  Then there was the adorableness in the fort yesterday.  The girls were playing "storm" and huddled under a blanket while the "winds raged" outside.  Ainsley was calling the fort her snuggledom, that's a cozy place to snuggle mama, with all my lovies and louise in it. Sometimes they just can't get any cuter.

A quiet solo moment with Ainsley this morning, smiling proudly in front of her stained glass she made at school, and then, well, things just got silly, as they always often do.





We've all been enjoying the thick dusting of snow that we FINALLY got.  I'm finding it increasingly hard to hold my tongue when most adults around me are grumbling about windchills and clothing layers.  IT'S WINTER! I LOVE IT!  I WANT MORE!!!! And tell me a morning spent bundled up at the park watching my girls make snow angels, throw snow, giggle and shoot down frozen slides isn't about the best thing this season has to offer, because it is.   Oh winter, please give us more.  We love you.


sweet Louise helping with dinner tonight


a little of that fort fun I mentioned above



I have a whole post started on books.  We've found so many new amazing ones of late, but this moment?  I just had to share immediately.

reading the book to her baby, because her "big girl dolls" just won't do right now


It's recently occurred to me that I should start talking to the girls about this homebirth we're planning, especially Ainsley.  I'd been looking for a good book to read with them and found Welcome with Love.  I ordered it from the library and brought it home today in our pile of new finds.  I read it twice to Ainsley at the library and approximately five more times before bed tonight.  She is absolutely enthralled.  My curious medically minded girl is so fascinated by it all, remarking tonight just before I turned their lights out that "it's so neat mama, that there's that special place where the baby comes out.  I really like this picture of that.  I like that special place."  She also giggles whenever the little boy narrator talks about how LOUD mum is when she's having the baby.  Ainsley asks me every time if that's true.  If mamas yell when the baby is coming.  Oh goodness yes big girl.  Yes, I yell lots.  She smiles at me and responds "that's ok mama, you're allowed to yell when things hurt.  But then the baby comes and everyone is so happy!  I can't wait."  Me too big girl.  Me too.

This book is beautiful and accurate, still gentle and age appropriate.  While we don't intend for the girls to be present while the baby is actually born, we know enough not to discount the possibility, and it's comforting to know that Ainsley is SO excited about it all, curious and joyful.  I think we have to buy this book.

Books and snow aside, the most exciting happenings in this house, well, for me at least, are food related.  After months and months of struggling with meal planning and cooking something has clicked and my kitchen is my haven again.  Perhaps it's that deep clean I gave it a few weeks back, or those beautiful weck canning jars and new cookbooks Ian gave me for Christmas.  It's all glorious really.

My first batch of homemade jam


baked lentils with cheese, above jam on homemade irish soda bread


crepe night with my girls


I spent a mere $80 on groceries this week and in my opinion, it's been one of the best cooking weeks in months.  Those baked lentils are one of my new favorites, as are the calico beans I made with Louise which yielded enough for two hearty meals.  I'd all but forgotten about the magic of the crepe. How easy they are to make and fun for the girls to fill.  I simply raid the fridge, make a simple roux based cheese sauce, fill and whalla! dinner.

A lot of my new inspiration came from re-visiting More with Less, an old standby of mine.  I've stopped worrying about anything being fancy (because who has time for fancy?) and refocused on flavor and nutrition, really what it's all about.  Ian's a bit bummed that it's been a while since we've had a big piece of meat, but I'm thrilled that we're eating so well and saving so much money.  I think that's an ok compromise.

Another compromise I've made?  surrendering half of our dining room to my artist girls.  After fighting the clutter and dreading the putting away for months and months I gave in.  Took Louise to the Container Store while Ainsley was at school this past week.  Spent about $18 on some new stacking bins and there we have it, a "mostly" clutter free workzone for my girls.  Accessibility is really key at this age.  And while I really was jonesing for some vintage wooden milk crates to use as storage, sometimes you just need a few good stacking bins for instant gratification.



My girls are loving their "new" space.  Everything within reach, so many fun things unearthed in the cleaning out of that tiny cramped cabniet.  Oh the projects they're making.  Wonderful.

And lastly of course, my crafting.  I'm happily buying a few store bought gifts already this year, making this new baby and my two growing girls my priority on the sewing machine and in the knitting bag.  I am SO excited about the girls' quilts.  FINALLY!  I may only get a few squares and strips done a day, but by golly they'll get there.  We've read The Quilt Story quite a few times in eager anticipation.  Ainsley in particular is giddy to have a mama made quilt "that I can bring with me wherever I go mama, even when I move". I don't have any photos of Ainsley's in progress.  I'll try to get on that soon.

Louise's log cabin squares


I am LOVING quilt making.  Once I bit the bullet and spent the 3 hours it took to rip all that fabric into strips it's all been going quite fast.  About 10-15 minutes a square, depending on how anal I get about the color combos.  I love searching for fun patterns, pressing the seams neat and watching the compositions emerge.  I can't wait to see it all put together!

What's really allowed me to get cracking on those quilts, and all the other things to make around this house, is that this baby officially has a few handmade things completed   Their knit blanket is one color change away from completion  and that with the below duo of quick change trousers was enough to make me feel accomplished, for now.  Now ask me in a month how that bonnet and surprise jacket are coming along...





I am excited for this baby for so many reasons, but will happily admit that one that tops the list is the excuse to make oodles of these pants in all sorts of sizes and combinations.  I simple NEED to find a way to make this pattern in larger sizes.  Stopping at a 2T is just not going to cut it.  Louise wore one of her flannel lined versions this past week and 5 separate moms asked me where I got them (one if I made them in adult sizes!).  These pants are golden I tell you.  And if there's anything cuter than roomy 3 month old sizes reversible flannel pants, I don't want to know what it is.

Thanks for sticking with me.  I know it was lots.  One of these days I'll get better about compartmentalizing.  Now excuse me while I go pass out.  this baby's in another growth spurt I believe.  I've done nothing this afternoon other than eat and lounge about and I'm still EXHAUSTED.  Ah.  I can't wait to meet you baby.  We are all SO incredibly excited.


No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.