Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Things Loved...Lately.

It's been a while, so I thought I'd share some favorites of late.

Panzanella

I have been hankering after a good tomato and bread salad for ages and now that tomatoes are ripe and abundant I was eager to take the plunge.  In quite a stroke of serendipity I came across an American's Test Kitchen featering their own "best" of this classic summer salad.  I made it.  We LOVED it.  The girls helped me make it, it's that simple, and I ate the leftovers from dinner for dessert last night.


Babble Wine

This TJs 6.99 bottle is my new favorite, this was even BEFORE I read the description in the store that informed me it has "afternotes of bacon fat".  Umm, YES!


iPlay Swim Diaper

This is my second year using one of these instead of the disposables and I continue to be in absolute love.  Especially for a family like us who's either at a splash pad or pool or sprinkler most every day this is far and away a more economical way to go.  I simply rinse and line dry the diaper and throw it in with the wash at the end of the week.  It's amazing!


Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

I read this book last month at the cabin and it kind of changed my life.  If you run AT ALL I can't imagine this book not doing the same for you.  Fascinating, inspiring, amazing.


Zeitoun by Dave Eggers

This nonfiction book was lent to me by a friend and I devoured it in about 3 days.  Once I got over how embarrassed I was that I knew so little of the details of hurricane Katrina I was absolutely entranced.  It was such a powerful story and I'm so glad I read it.


French Press Coffee

Ian and I have officially crossed over.  After our tried and true Krups machine started making weird hissing noises and taking over 10 minutes to brew a half pot of coffee we decided it was time to make a switch.  Having worked in a really good coffee shop in college we'd both gotten spoiled by the fresh amazing espresso and brew and it's been hard to find a good substiute at home.  We both drink coffee black and grind our beans at home so the next natural step was roasting at home and a french press, right?

Well, the roasting is all Ian.  A new coworker of his is quite the coffee aficionado  and has introduced him to this "other side" of coffee making.  I must say, the french press is definitely better than anything I've made in a conventional coffee maker.  We got the $12 model from IKEA and have no complaints so far!


TJs cookies

Perhaps the thing I miss most during the summer months is the lack of slow roasting and baking.  It's just too dang hot to have that oven on, period!  But while I miss the process, I REALLY miss the product.  It's been fun to have a seasonal excuse to peruse the store bought options out there.  My current fave?  TJs mini almond biscotti 2 (ok, maybe 3 or 4) of these and a cup of french press is my new naptime treat.  Delicious.

Coffee Berry eye and lip balm by SKIN Organics

I've been on the search for a good eye cream lately that's not crazy expensive and mostly natural.  I just wanted something kind of basic that would help with these lovely dark circles that motherhood has given me.  I grabbed this stuff at whole foods a few months back and love it.  I use it every night under my eyes and then swipe it across my lips.  I love that it's multi purpose, smells great and leaves my eyes feeling refreshed and soft.  Oh, and it's vegan, which I like too (in my products, not my diet :o).


Hmm, thisis fun. I have lots of things I've liked lately.


Teeny Tiny Tales by Sarah Hayes

This book is our latest library find and we're hooked.  Louise, Ainlsye and I adore it equally, which is quite the feat these days.  5 cute short stories about 5 little woodland nymph friends.  Love it.


Minnetonka Moccasins

I'm sure I've told you already but I LOVE these shoes.  I look forward to buying the girls a new pair each summer for their fall slip on shoes.  I know TOMS are big and I think they're adorable too, but a part of me is reluctant to buy into the trenc when I already face SO many wardrobe opinions and struggles with Ainsley.  As long as she lets me put her in adorable well made minnesota mocassion leather?  I'm going to do it.  Oh, Louise too.

I was even willing to let her go this year but she chose the "beautiful pretty brown"  that's my girl!


So many fun things lately.


No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.