Monday, July 23, 2012

New Venture

Just last night Ian and I were discussing the whole opposites attract phenomenon.  How most of the happy couples we know are so different, but work so well together.  I chuckled a bit while we talked because clearly Ian and I fall into this happy but trying category.  He says tomato and well, I say caprese salad!

That's not to say we don't rub off on each other, in fact I'm convinced that is why opposites work so well for each other.  If it weren't for Ian I would never know how much I truly enjoy a little eastern european brass band every once in a while, or how somedays simply nothing can taste better than a trip to a good Indian buffet, or how when you're in a rut, finding a new hobby and immersing yourself completely is the ultimate and perfect cure.

While I may not get to eat Indian as much as I would like and simply can't stomach another Fanfare CD for at least a few more weeks thanks to our long road trip last month, I am surely right there with him, 4 feet deep immersed in my new obsession.

Of course I'm talking about sewing. AH! sewing.  Recall this post?  Well, 5+ months later I'm still right there, absolutely giddy with possibilities and delighted to the core.  Sometimes I wax and wane with crafts. I'll think I've found my next big thing and it turns out to be fun for a moment but too much work to sustain.  But this? hardly EVER feels like work.  Even sewing for needs and gifts is actually more fun than just making things for fun.  It's absolutely invigorating (can you tell?)

What re-lit the most recent fire was my latest sewing book purchase.  Handmade Beginnings, by Anna Maria Horner is a book I've salivated over for months now.  In addition to adorable baby toy and clothing patterns she even has a few cute and practical maternity options (you never know someday!).  But the pattern that REALLY had me jonesing for a copy of my own was her quick change trousers.

These pants are absolute genius if you ask me.  Not only are they ADORABLE (allowing 4 patterns to work together for ultimate cuteness?) they are extremely practical.  They are 100% reversible and grow with your baby (or toddler).  I will say I can REALLY tell I'm a sewer now because as much as I love the pattern I'm already making some tweaks and adjustments. The pattern only goes up to a 2T but they're BIG and I'm excited to rig up a pattern for Ainsley soon!

my first three pairs


Once I got going, it's been hard to stop.  I've made some with particular little ones in mind and some because I was just too excited about all the cute pattern and fabric combinations!


Every single one of these pants were made with scraps and Ian's old work shirts.  I love the juxtaposition of flannel and plaid with bright fabrics.  That butt yoke is the perfect way to let my most favorite and precious fabrics shine.


Making ALL of these pants (6 pairs in all) at a time also allowed me to get into a real groove and find a system.  I've learned that making at least two of everything I sew is the most economical use of my time, so why not try 6?
quick change trousers assembly line


This has all been leading me somewhere, and I'm still working out the destination.  This is the first time that I've sewn for no one in particular, for the joy of it, for the sake of making something functional and beautiful.  I'm excited to keep building up a bit of an inventory and see where that takes me.  I'm not ready to make any great leaps just yet, but I feel on the verge of something pretty grand.

trousers and sundress for our friend Lily


It's so fun to be at a stage where I feel like I already have favorite go to patterns.  Patterns that I'm comfortable enough with to make without instruction and even a bit of artistic licence.  It's especially fun because I never in a million years saw myself as a sewer and now I can't imagine spending my precious free time any other way.


SO with all this steam under me and loft above I went for it.  I went to the store and committed to some beautiful fall fabrics.  Even with a great sale I am feeling pressure to make good use of my purchases.  Well, pressure isn't the right word, motivation, excitement, purpose and pleasure seem to come closer.  I'll keep you posted on my venture and hope to have something big to say about it all soon.  We'll just have to see.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome Becks. Are we going to see an Etsy store with your designs up in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. we'll see! The trick is going to be tweaking some patterns to make sure they're "mine" and finding a way to get more fabric without spending a million dollars. The hope would be to one day be able to make enough on the side to foot the bill for this crazy new hobby. The super cute fabric (And yarn) is crazy expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lily insisted on going to sleep in her lovely new green dress tonight ("gee! dess! gee!"). And I am in love with those pants. Keep an eye out at Goodwill for sheets and duvet covers. TONS of soft fabric for ridiculously cheap prices. That's where I got the fabric for Lily's birthday banners (that you inspired!). And of course garage sales. But I'm sure you know this already.

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.