Thursday, January 27, 2011

Our Big Girl

I have been hesitant to write about Ainsley's potting training adventures much, for the slight superstition alive in me fears it will ruin a good thing. It's been going well for long enough though and I'm ready to talk.

I will start by saying that through this whole process, thus far, I have realized one thing. We are really really lucky. Potty training is the most two way street I've come across. 1. Your toddler needs to be ready and 2. YOU need to ready. From what I've heard these two phenomena rarely occur together so early.

THANKFULLY Ainsley has been interested in the toilet for quite some time. She was never afraid of it or weary to try. Perhaps my going to the bathroom in front of her ALL THE TIME helped some, but in general she's very curious and very interested in being a big girl.

We bought both a potty chair and a seat that goes on the toilet to have the options and so that each bathroom was covered. So far she has no preference. We did this when she was about 18 months old and first showed interest in trying to go in the toilet.

Neither Ian or I have ever pushed the issue. If anything I guess I discouraged it sometimes. 18 months seemed WAY too early to have any real success and honestly I just wasn't up for asking her every 1/2 hour if she needed to go (back to that whole parents being ready thing). Sometimes when she'd ask to try it I was in the middle of changing a diaper, or putting in a load of laundry, unwilling to drop what I was doing. Looking back I wonder if this added to her desire to go (reverse psychology anyone?)

Since we've been back from the holidays she's been regularly requesting to use the potty, at least 3-4 times a day without any prompting. For her birthday she got two sets of big girl underpants (and Ian went out with her to buy a third set a few weeks ago - is there anything sweeter than a dad buying his girl little tiny underpants?) and was excited to try them out one morning a couple of weeks ago when we were snowed in. After two accidents I caved and we went back to diapers for a bit (again, I wasn't ready).

Last week Ian took charge. We both (ok Ian convinced me) recognized that it was now, or maybe not again for a while (I've heard their desire waxes and wanes). We decided to go all for it. Only underpants during the day, even when we're out in the car. (no accidents while we've been out yet!) Diapers while she sleeps until she starts having dry ones (we're almost there! Every morning we wake up to "open the door, Ainsley go potties!")
She averages one to two accidents a day, usually while we're playing in the basement or otherwise engaged. Neither Ian or I, or Ainsley for that matter, get discouraged by it. She's going cold turkey for gosh sakes! I'd much rather do an extra load of laundry a week and instill confidence in her that she can do it and that we believe in her. In fact, she gets a little upset sometimes when we put a diaper on for sleeping. (We don't have enough sheets yet to try it at night!)

We never yell or get upset with her when she has an accident. At first she got an M&M every time she went, but that incentive now seems less and less important.

It's been a full week now and she's doing great. I can't believe how big she's getting. We've had to switch out a bunch of her pants because now our little peanut girl is even tinier in the bum.

I will end by reiterating that we've been really lucky so far. I don't claim to know anything special or have any real words of wisdom. I just know enough moms out there with little ones who will someday be going through the same thing and thought I'd share what seems to have worked for us. That's part of what this whole blog thing is about right?

We're so proud of her and this next big step for our girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.