Thursday, January 6, 2011

Best Day(s)

These past two days have been amazing. After declaring out loud my desire to "simplify" I've felt more calm and way less pressure to fit so much in a day.

Yesterday held nothing spectacular except for all the fun we had. Ainsley was wonderful, helpful and jolly as we cleaned up the kitchen together (thanks again Dan and Ruth for the toddler sized broom, dust pan and brush...SUCH life savers!). We have rekindled her love for the sensory bin (the treacherous beans replaced with more benign rice) which kept her busy for a solid hour while I turned the leftover ham from Ainsley's birthday into a cheesy potato soup.

I've started trying to involve Ainsley in as much of the cooking as I can to 1. make sure she's not one of those kindergartners who don't know where food comes from (the answer is NOT the grocery store!) 2. it takes up time in the day and 3. in the hopes that she takes some ownership of the food and actually EATS something. So far so good.

Yesterday she devoured both the soup and the homemade bread that she helped me measure out and today she thoroughly enjoyed both her oatmeal and pears that she helped cut up.

Yesterday morning marked the start of the winter season of Musikgarten. I continue to think that she couldn't love it more, and then she does. She sings the songs ALL day every day and relishes in the wonderful teacher and like aged students in her class. This session we have a lot of the same children and I 'm hoping we'll start to make some lasting friendships. I pulled out the double stroller to walk to and from class and despite the few judging glances I got from NON COUPED UP parents it went well and everyone arrived safe and toasty warm thanks to layers, blankets, and the amazing Bob stroller canopy.

Today was another wonderful day. I woke up well rested (thank you Louise) and energized. Problem was there wasn't much on the docket. No real need for errands, grey sky with flurries falling down and freezing temperatures making a walk seem out of reach. In an effort to not go crazy I opted to throw the girls in the car and head to whole foods to buy some yogurt and do some good old fashioned browsing. We ended up buying a bunch of teeny tiny amounts of things from the bulk bins (figs, chocolate covered almonds, raisins, yogurt covered pretzels) just to try, got a fresh zucchini muffin to share and a few other things to tide us over through the weekend. (On a complete side note I've decided NOT to go grocery shopping next week for anything other than staples (pretty much milk, eggs, cheese, and yogurt) and get a little creative with the cooking. I'm desperate to clean out the pantry and freezer and figure this is a good way to do it!)

After our errand I decided to really splurge and toddle with Ainsley by my side and Louise on my front to the nearby starbucks for a treat for Ainsley. She stood in line like a big girl and got her first vanilla steamer complete with whipped cream. I only wish I had my camera to show the excitement on her face. (probably the best 1.49 I've ever spent...not only did she love the drink and savor each sip, but afterwards played with the cup and lid in the sink for a half hour) What a big girl I have. Louise was actually up most of the time and just as I was trying to figure out what to do with the next 2 hours until nap time I ran into a good friend that I haven't seen in a few months and she invited us over for an impromptu playdate. I forwent the necessary diaper changes for and hour and a half of relative sanity with other adults and children. Such a fun way to spend the morning.

It's been two days of relatively good moods and fun. Louise continues to be such a happy baby and now loves to spend her time sitting up in the bumbo, in the exersuacer, the johnny jump up or on my hip. Ainsley has been such a helper and very sweet, singing songs around the house, playing with her sister, taking good naps for her mom. Ainsley squealed with laughter tonight when Louise grabbed her shirt and started sucking. Those two little girls are such a joy.

Don't worry, I'm totally bracing myself for a horrendous day tomorrow, but the last two have made it so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.