Tuesday, January 11, 2011

In the Groove

We moved into our house just over a year ago, 13 months and 6 days to be exact and I just FINALLY feel like I've settled.

I took down the Christmas tree today. I was in one of those manic cleaning modes and needed to take advantage. After cleaning out the back room in the basement (to the extent that I could with both Ainsley and Louise in tow) I was primed for success. After removing the ornaments, bead garland and abundance of lights I just couldn't fathom waiting for Ian to come home to remove the dying plant from our home. I lugged it (stand and all because I couldn't get it off) to the back door, on the trek getting caught in each and every doorway and arch, even running into Louise's swing where she lay happily asleep. I laughed at myself when I saw the mess I'd made, surprised there were ANY needles left on the tree. Oh well, it's done and in it's place is the fruit of Ainsley's and my Valentine's project: salt dough cut out ornaments painted and hung from the eves of our sunroom with the new paper chain (I'm obsessed).

I take such joy in our home. Decorating, rearranging, cleaning (most of the time). As I was shoveling the walk with Ainsley this morning (yes WITH Ainsley...she only ran into the street twice) I was struck by a thought..this is home. Not just a temporary, we'll be leaving in a year home, but home. I have friends here, a support system, a routine. It's comfortable and familiar. I love that we have just enough room for the 4 of us. The kitchen is just my style and size. I love the rugs on the hardwood floors and the old wood moldings and ceiling details. The only thing that would make it PERFECT would be a working fireplace. Who knows if we're here long enough?

I've battled with "home" for the whole 3.5 years we've been in Oak Park. What it is, where it is. I finally feel like I'm there. I of course still have that longing when I'm back in MN. The convenience of being close to family would be wonderful but honestly, I don't mind the solitude sometimes (no offense family, you know how much I love you!). I'm looking forward to the coming 2.5 month stretch at home (we have plans for Florida in late March...SO excited!). Time to get in a routine. Remind Louise that she can sleep through the night and Ainsley that naps are still a necessity. Time to lounge in jammies in the morning and play in the snow in the afternoons. Time to bake cookies and cook soups and fresh bread. Time to sing and dance to our favorite songs and just be our little family of 4. I could be here for a long time if I need to be, if we need to be. I like it here.

I finally feel like I can take ownership of this place, our home. I feel like I've gotten down this parent of two thing and can now get done what I need to in a day. I find I look forward to going out now instead of dreading buckling two little ones in their carseats. Our winter walks in the Bob have been lifesavers for all (Louise's chubby cheeks all pink from the cold...cutest thing in the world). Most days I feel rested, rejuvinted and motivated. I've even found time in the mornings to do some pilates (Ainsley does it with me...also the cutest thing in the world). I may not be happy all the time, no one is, but I am so thankful for our home and our family and this place that we are.

Just wanted to share my happiness and satisfaction, sometimes I feel there's too little of it roaming around these days.

P.S. The "no grocery shopping week" has thus far been a success. Meals so far:

Orange Brown Butter Sole with mashed potatoes and peas and carrots
Nachos with ground beef taco meat, black olives, cheese, guacamole and salsa
Tarragon Chicken Pasta and green beans
Lentil, sweet potato and quinoa stew
Sausage* Sweet Potato and Apple Bake with homemade white bread and green beans

*I didn't have iltalian sausage so I took the skin off some bratwurst I had in the freezer and browned that up instead...Ian couldn't tell the difference until I told him

Some pictures from our New Year so far:

Ainsley and Louise all dolled up for New Years

Ainsley gearing up for Florida (most of her summer clothes still fit...she's such a peanut!)

*self-explanatory

Ainsley's new obsession...rice!

sister time

My girls

the happiest baby on the planet..seriously, I'm convinced.

salt dough ornaments!



finished product

3 comments:

  1. AWESOME! That's all I have to say, really. A home is an amazing thing...so glad you've found a niche!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great thing to read to start the day! I just LOVE all the pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your writing Becky, thanks for your honesty! Can I have your recipe for the salt dough ornaments? Those are adorable!

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.