Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Keep 'Em Coming

Clearly life is going well. I look back on my recent posts and notice that most of them are generally happy, with the occasional WHY WON'T MY TWO YEAR OLD listen to me rant snuck in every now and again.

Today I am compelled to write again about how great today has been. Currently Ainsley is zonked on the couch and Louise is napping in her carseat. After Ainsley refused to settle down in her room I opted to go out for a few errands rather than continue to listen to her dismantle her bedroom. After a Trader Joes (I caved...I just can't live without certain things in my fridge) and Target run (why is it that you go to Target for one or two things and leave with three bags full of stuff?) we pulled up to the house and I noticed the toddler chatter had ceased in the backseat. Ainsley was OUT. Oh well. I guess it will be a late night at the Vaagenes house.

Despite no "normal" naps today it's been great. After a morning of playing and using Ainsley's new window markers to decorate the front windows I bundled the girls up for the brisk walk to Musikgarten. Such a great class today. Ainsley did well and enjoyed all the active singing, dancing, and rhythm making. When it was time to leave there was a back up at the door so I decided to wait rather than charge through the crowd with the double stroller. This allowed me to strike up a casual conversation with a mom that I've been itching to start a friendship with for a months. I see her EVERYWHERE.

We first met when Ainsley was 8 months old at the park by our old apartment. She has a daughter one month older than Ainsley and while we tried to talk more our toddler daughters required our attention and we parted ways. I didn't see her again until this past spring when our daugher's musikgarten classes backed up to each others. Then I saw her at the farmers market all summer and even once at the midwives in the waiting room when she was also pregnant with her second daughter born 2 weeks before Louise.

I mean come on. WE HAVE THE SAME LIVES. I HAD to say something. But I felt so awkward. Anyone who knows me from high school and college would agree that I appear a fairly social person. I can talk to people. I like people. But there's something about meeting a new mom that feels like an awkward first date again (no offense Ian :o) I have such a fear of rejection. Plus, I don't just want to chat, I want more. I want a friendship, playdates, mom's night out. The whole nine yards. Can she see the desperation in my eyes? Am I playing the game right?

Then it happened. Before I could stutter out an invitation to her she asked ME for a playdate. ME!!! I could hardly believe it. Here I was thinking I was the lone wolf, secretly pining for her friendship and I guess all along she'd been thinking the same thing of me (or she's just normal, not crazy desperate like me and wanted to hang out, either way I'll take it). I guess I'm not the only new mom starved for companionship. I can't wait!

I'm currently ending the day with a freshly bathed Louise on my lap and Ian entertaining Ainsley in the kitchen. Such a good day.

2 comments:

  1. that's so great you scored a first date with another new mommy! i think every mom can relate to this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. qtotally know what you're talking about; I've brought it up multiple times a mom's group I go to and everyone there reassures me that yes, meeting new mom's is EXACTLY like dating...or slightly more awkward! haha. I'm glad you've had such a great day!! --ABBY

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.