Monday, June 7, 2010

TV Land

Ok, random topic but I have something to say so I'm going to go with it.

After not having cable for a year at our old apartment (and surviving imagine that?) I was determined to raise Ainsley with NO TV, not even the occasional PBS show. I just thought my parenting was you know, above all that. Turns out it's not.

For one, it's gotten increasingly difficult to fill the days productively as Ainsley has gotten older. Sure most days are easy. An errand here, an hour walk there, a trip to the park, a few tasks done around the house, books to read, blocks to stack, music to sing and dance to and look at that it's not even lunch time...WHAT? Now that she's awake for so much more of the day (up by 6, maybe a 2 hour nap if I'm lucky, down by 8) there's a lot more DAY to fill up.

I've gotten better about spreading out my productivity for just this reason. Case in point, after a great full day today and an hour and a half of playing in the backyard and gardening with Ainsley I decided to forgo the walk I had mentally planned knowing that a. it would put my body over the edge making getting dinner on the table all the more tricky and b. it would make our walk tomorrow all the better (and hopefully longer). So here we sit listening and dancing to Van Morrison and the Chieftans, rehydrating and relaxing until Ian comes home.

Turns out I'm not opposed to sitting down with her and watching a show or (gasp) two to pass the time, especially when I've found some great ones that she actually seems to enjoy and get something out of.

So here's my list of toddler friendly Ainsley approved programming.

Mama Mirabelle's Home Movies
A sprout show about a mama elephant and her baby and their African animal friends. Every episode centers around a question that is then answered through animal behaviors eg. the zebra skips lunch and is tired so they talk about what different animals eat and the few animals that can get by without eating much, or eating lots! Ainsley LOVES all of the real animal footage and we like to practice saying their names and making their sounds.


Miffy and Friends
A great simple show about a bunny and her friends. The animation is wonderful (think hello kitty minus the pink and glitter) and I like the calmness of the storylines and transitions. The shows focus on basic preschool issues like trust and friendship as well as little adventures.


Play with Me Sesame
Now that sesame street has become the Elmo show, (and as a quick aside - Mr. Rogers is not longer even on the air...SUCH a travesty) I was happy to find this Sprout spin off with the best Sesame St. characters doing little learning vignettes just like in the good old days. Cookie Monster counts cookies, the Count counts everything, and Prairie Dawn sings and plays the piano. Just enough action to keep Ainsley interested, not enough to annoy me.

Blue's Clues
I know, I know, Steve can be creepy, but there's something about this show that I love. The repetition of storyline and songs and the simple introductions to patterns, matching, letters, and numbers. When I ask if Ainsley wants me to put on Blue Clues she jumps up and say "yeah yeah!"

Sid the Science Kid
A great PBS show that's a bit over Ainsley's head for now, but the songs and characters keep her engaged. Sid always asks a "scientific" question at the beginning of the show like "why is my banana turning brown?" and the show is spent answering his question. Along the way are some great songs and characters that stay constant.


So while this rather long list may suggest the contrary we still for the most part steer clear of the television. Most times I'd rather have the trumpet concerto pandora station on in the background while Ainsley and I play or snuggle and read books, but for those times when we've already done that TWICE it's nice to know there's a half hour show out there that I don't have total guilt showing to my sweet, growing, impressionable girl.


3 comments:

  1. We watch Sid the Science Kid fairly often--sometimes I greet Connor in the morning by saying, "Hey, Connor, what do you say? Whatcha gonna learn today?" He doesn't answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Ainsley mostly dances to the part "I'm lookin for my friends...." I sing that tune to a LOT of things throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sid the science kid is awesome- but I much prefer dinosaur train. That is a good one if you need even more variety . . . = )

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.