Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I'm obsessed...

with decorating. Perhaps it's the supressed art major in me, the nesting instinct, the impending large tax refund (thank you first time homebuyers credit) or a crazy combination of all three but I just can't seem to get enough.

After tackling the BIG projects (kitchen renovation, plumbing issues, main floor living space decorating, Ainsley's room) I thought I would be content with our house. I knew with a new baby on the way I would need/want to do something in the way of decorating the third bedroom as a nursery. Little did I know the monster that this would unleash.

I sat down last weekend overwhelmed by the projects whirring in my head and made a list of everything that I want to get done. It was a whole page, hand written, not very large print. I'm in trouble.

Whatever happened to the frugal new wife who hand knit a rug for Ainsley's nursery to save money, asked her talented mother to sew a bumper bad, used second hand fabric and old pillow stuffing to make throw pillows? I don't know but if you find her could you please send her back to me?

I have to say part of it has come from the harsh realization that I just don't have time to be a total DIY mom like I'd like. I did just finish making two sets of curtains for the kitchen and powder room, have some on sale fabric sitting in the basement for those windows and a can of paint to spruce up the impending playroom on a shelf. I attempted to make a rug for our sunroom out of old army blankets but couldn't get the moth ball smell out.

Other than that I can't fathom taking on any more large projects. I've realized that especially when it comes to baby stuff it's sometimes worth it to spend a but more on the outset to get good quality pieces. Case in point: we already have to replace the cheap changing table we bought on sale at Target, the bouncer that Ainsley tore apart, and the playmat that she barfed all over. It is with this sentiment that I started my search into decorating both the nursery and Ainsley's big girl bedroom.

I'm not going to go into too much detail because the end product looks SO good in my head and until I can take pictures to show the finished deal I don't want to give too much away, but here's the quilt I'm working on justifiying for Ainsley's room.


and here's the crib bumper and sheets for the baby's room

I'm going to go the mall tomorrow with Ainsley to see if I can check them both out in person before ordering them. I can't wait to see my vision all put together in both rooms!


3 comments:

  1. Love PB baby!!! Given most of Emmy's room haha Where is Ainsley's big girl quilt coming from? Love it!!! So vintage and cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT's Land of Nod...very similar to PB kids/baby. I always struggle to find "girly" things that aren't ENTIRELY pink...I think success?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes i would say success! i can't wait to see the finished product!!!

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.