Monday, February 24, 2014

New Food Week 1

It was a very interesting week, foodwise.

So, the first day of my plan went perfectly.  I had my two snacks, my three meals, lots of water, nothing else.  Day two I got HUNGRY.  Day three I was bummed I hadn't stuck to the plan 100% on day two.  Day four was my birthday (how can I say no to cake on my birthday?).  Days 5,6, and 7 were better, but none were perfect.

In short, this plan was way too extreme for me.
I'll admit I was a bit bummed.  I was envisioning me eating my 800 vegetarian calories a day and feeling great and looking amazing.  But this weekend I revamped (again) and realized that I learned so much in this short week of trying out an extreme detox.  So I'm taking that and moving forward.

1. I need a plan.
I LOVED having a plan for each meal, especially lunch and breakfast.  I need that.  Or I fall into my bad habit of not eating breakfast (because I'm too busy in the mornings) eating whatever I make the kids for lunch (my adult body cannot handle sandwiches and hearty soups every day) eating too much dinner and post dinner snacks because I didn't eat enough throughout the rest of the day.  Wine most nights because, well, it's delicious.
A plan is good.

2. I LOVE lots of vegetarian food.
My body doesn't crave too much meat.  I hardly missed it at all. I found a few new dishes that were amazing and totally filling that will become staples for me.

Baked sweet potato with caramelized onions and sautéed greens



So good and so easy.  Bake a sweet potato (or 5 so you can have them ready all week, and for when your kids want to steal your lunch because it's so good and pretty).  Carmelize an onion, add your favorite greens and cook until they wilt.  Add a pinch of salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon.  I also added a dash of my favorite herbed vinegar.  Top the hot sweet potato with the greens and onions.  Enjoy.

Moosewood Vegetarian Chili
chili with basil, cumin, chili powder, LOTS of garlic, bulgur cooked in tomato juice and red kidney beans, so good even Ian had a bowl for lunch this weekend.

3. Onward and Upward.
This new adult body of mine needs less food and more exercise.  I realized something had switched when just three years ago after Louise was born I was back to a normal weight within 6 months of giving birth and with Felix I'm still 10 lbs away 10 months later.  My body needs EXERCISE and this winter has been so hard for that.  So I'm sucking it up and committing to my new favorite workout tapes in rotation until it warms up/thaws enough for me to run again outside.  No more 20 minute workouts, these are the real deal and they take up most of my precious preschool time, but I need it and am feeling so much better.

Kristi Yamaguchi burn workout
Erin Obrien strong body workout
And on my super lazy/really hurting from the hard workouts days 10 Minute Pilates

So like a good student I'm trying to combine what I've learned and keep this plan evolving.  I'm excited about this week.

Meal Plan...

Breakfast::
Think Thin protein bar ( I know I know, but it's better than nothing)
banana and peanut butter
oatmeal with pecans and berries (NO sweet milk or sugar...bummer)
mixed berry and green juice smoothies

Lunch::
baked sweet potato with caramelized onions and greens
vegetarian chili with a dollop of organic sour cream
veggie burger with fruit

Dinner::
curried spinach and chick peas with naan
bacon, caremlized onion, baby chard frittata
lean ground beef tacos with refried beans, black olives, tomatoes, corn, and lettuce
turkey meatloaf with roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli
shrimp vegetable stir fry

I'm still trying to steer clear of most carbs and meats and excessive dairy.  I did buy a three pack of small dark chocolate bars because no chocolate was pretty brutal last week.

So this week I'm trying to find a forever groove.  I'm not thinking of this as a diet but a new food plan for my adult life.  Putting on that new swimsuit in a month in Florida isn't bad motivation either ;o).

Any good suggestions for filling healthy side dishes to go with veggie burgers?  I'm struggling with that one.
I'll keep you posted!


6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for making a plan! I know its hard with the three - I totally feel you there. I was very ambitious last year right away and got on the treadmill and back to my size/shape but since I ran a half in October I'm pretty sure I've slid into hibernation mode! Broghan has to literally drag me to work out...which doesn't happen often. One thing - do you guys not eat eggs? Breakfast is literally the easiest/fastest meal for me! Lunch/dinner is hard. :/ But breakfast is some version of scrambled eggs - either alone, with sausage/spinach/veggies or a combo of those; OR oatmeal...some days we do smoothies (frozen berries/spinach/protein powder) and its pretty efficient - up at 7 and all fed, dressed and out the door at 8. Oh and the no dairy gets easier. I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we do love eggs! We do them for dinner at least once a week and usually for breakfasts on the weekends. Myproblem is I make breakfast for the kids then rush upstairs to get dressed while they eat so I don't eat with them, so bad I know. Now that Felix is eating more solid food that will change since I need to feed him. The rest of my family is big on yogurt with berries and nuts for breakfast, but I can't do a bowl of whole milk yogurt every morning! We still eat cheese and milk, I'm just trying to cut way back. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky are you really only eating 800 calories a day? I'm pretty sure you should be eating at least 1200. 800 calories a day is far too little. Perhaps you meant 1800? You are still breastfeeding right? That takes many calories too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry Taryn! That's why I dropped it! I didn't realize how extreme it was! I definitely know I need more calories than that. I'm just nursing once or twice a day but even if I wasn't that's not enough at all. I don't really calorie count anyways, but I'm definitely eating way more than that. Thanks for the concern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK good, whew. I was a little nervous for you! Wow, tell Felix to tell g she didn't have to nurse so much, she still eats like 4-5 times a day and at more at night! Glad you are eating. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.