Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Years Eve

Today has been a much better today.  A better day than yesterday which was pretty much horrendous.

We got home from our 10 day Minnesota Christmas on Sunday evening.  Louise was just getting over   a fever bug, Ainsley was in the thick of it, poor Felix coughing up a storm too.  So Ian went to work yesterday and I had to do everything.  Take care of two terribly needy kids, feel like I was completely ignoring Louise, organize and clean after so long away.  On top of it all I was in major type A clean out mode so in addition to just the normal unpacking and organizing I suddenly decided that I needed to clean out all the kids books on the second floor and the art cabinet.  Huge bad idea.  I don't know what I was thinking.

My one outing was with Louise to Trader Joes right at dinner time.  It was so bad.  She was happy as a clam to push her little cart and meander. I was so annoyed with the crows, having to park about a half mile away and carry three bags while keeping Louise safe in the antsy parking lot.  But now we have food and are ready for a happy new years.

I like new years more as I get older.  It used to be just an excuse to stay up late and have extra fun with friends.  Now we never stay up late.  The girls put on fancy dresses and I shower.  We make something special for dinner and serve a little bubbly for us all.  This year I added a few more traditions.  Painting luminaries to welcome in the new year on this dark night, fun party hats for a bit of festivity and silliness.  This year I also found these printables.  I thought it'd be fun to catch the kids favorites and presences for the year.



Tomorrow is dip day.  A tradition in my family where you make a bunch of delicious appetizers and just eat all day.  On the menu tomorrow is Pioneer Woman's roasted corn dip and 8 layer mexican dip,  queso,  cocktail weinies in sauce (of course!) and bacon wrapped ones for Ian.  A new favorite I found last year are Pioneer woman's party crackers.  They are simply club crackers with a bit of brown sugar and bacon, baked low and slow until crisp.  SO GOOD.

We had to go out again this morning to get the rest of the ingredients.  I was very much dreading this trip with all three kids but it went so well.  Felix was a happy buy, the girls begged minimally and our small little Jewel had every single thing we needed with almost no crowds.

Now we're home and the girls are doing their new yoga DVD.  The lady's voice sounds like Roz from Monsters Inc, but other than that it's great.  Ainsley is really into it and can do it on her own just fine.  Louise is happy to do about half of the moves and just do her own thing the rest of the time.  Right now she's been in down dog for about 5 minutes with her santa undies high up in air.  It's hilarious.





I needed a reboot today.  I still felt a bit wound up and frazzled from all the holiday hubbub.  Today feels calm and good and some kind of balance feels possible.  I'm excited to celebrate with my family tonight and tomorrow.  It's been a wonderful year.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.