Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Gifts to Make

In approximately 45 minutes I will be heading out early with my sleeping baby boy to celebrate Ainsley's birthday at her school.  I'm bringing some yummy chocolate drizzle star cookies and green smoothie drinks and dried apricots.  All requested by my big girl.  I'm also bringing Bruno the Baker, her favorite birthday book, and Harriet You'll Drive Me Wild, her favorite anytime book.  Birthdays are all about favorites aren't they?

Speaking of this birthday of my girl's, it's lit quite the fire under me.  After her party was over and cleaned up and we'd spent the weekend celebrating to the max I was left wanting.  Something felt unsettled.  Then I saw that beautiful doll that I've been wanting for her for ages, on sale, and somehow all the pieces are falling into place.

What was missing?  Was a bit of handmade.  A bit of homegrown love for her birthday and for this holiday in general.






It all started with that doll.  Then the wheels began to turn.  Why that doll needs her own quilt and a soft bed to lay in and of course a beautiful dress.  Any doll of Ainlsey's  must have a beautiful dress.

Of course the quilt is only half done and all the rest is still just dreams in my mind, but it lit the fire and sent me digging into my thick stash and my gears are simply humming.  I've been pulling some late nights and will keep it up as long as it takes.  I love this kind of making.  Inspired and so satisfying.  It's my art these days.  It is really a gift for me to get to make.  Bonus points that it's a gift to give too.

Triple Bonus?  These three, measuring and mixing and stirring all together.  Mmmmm family zucchini bread (and ginger crinkles and gingerbread and english toffee and peppermint bark...hey, it is Christmas time, right?).  
I swear it tastes better when we all make it together.




And one more moment.  When I posed the question of what to make for a tiny friend for a gift my not quite five year old's response? How about some of those beautiful quick change trousers mama?  You're really good at making those.  You know you're officially a sewer when your kid can name your favorite pattern for you.  I think you're right Ainsley.  Quick Change Trousers all around!!!

I hope you all are enjoying this time as much as I am.  Ah, when life is so full and busy to the brim with all good stuff, it is the BEST stuff.

Amen!

1 comment:

  1. The last minute gifts we create are always so much fun! The late nights are so worth it.

    I never would have thought that the kitchen floor would be the best place to cook and bake, but we often end up down there too. Such fun memories in the making!

    ReplyDelete

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.