Sunday, December 15, 2013

Crunch Time

With the end of this weekend comes the real crunch.  Days and counting until we depart for Minnesota for Christmas.  Why does this time of year always fly so fast?  This morning I'm taking a moment to drink it all in.

I'm in a good place with to dos.  It helps that I scoured lots before Ainsley's party, the house isn't in dire shape.  Most of the gifts have been wrapped.  The last LAST purchases have been made, a few hours of sewing (and many tiny stitches) to go.

I'm hoping to use time well this week.  To elve with the girls while I can and motivate in the evenings for this final push.  It's always worth it to see the gleam in my girls eyes when they open something truly special.  I just keep their faces in mind when I'm bone tired and reaching.

Though there hasn't been too much of that this year.  I feel so much more mellow and settled into our holiday routine than ever before.  One of the great benefits of aging a bit I guess.  I learned last year that simple is better.  Less decorations, fewer commitments, more time to be spontaneous and free.  Every morning I ask they girls what they want to do with our afternoons and every day that have great ideas and most day we can accommodate it all.  There's been lots of baking, of course, and festive play dough playing (both spiced and chocolate dough have been made).  Lots of sitting next to the lit tree playing games and pulling out glitter and stamps and paint and glue and making.



 I love that we're in that glorious place now where plans are mostly OURS, not mine or theirs.  We're on board with each other and together is where we'd all most like to be (except right now, I'm thoroughly enjoying this quiet house and second cup of coffee.)

Today I'm looking forward to getting a few things done.  Unwinding that spiders web to start and finishing up a few gifts to be sent out this week.  Then a very special afternoon at the ballet with Auntie Sonya and the girls.  I'm excited to see a new production of the nutcracker.  I've heard this local one is good!  Then Wednesday I go to school to celebrate Ainsley's birthday with her class and Friday we'll spend all together packing and readying.  Then bright and early Saturday we'll ship out for our week of holiday fun.  Every year we leave MN vowing we'll just stay home the next year because truthfully it's a lot.  But every year this time comes around again and we just can't help ourselves.  Family is the place to be this time of year. We're so thankful we're close enough to see the ones we loves most.

Happy Weekend to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.