Thursday, August 9, 2012

To Be Simple

I'm up before the brood this morning, loving waking up at my own time lately.  This morning is cooler and dark and rainy.  I love it.

Really I've loved this week.  The only real pressing to dos have been fun, sewing and scheming for Louise's second birthday, laundering in preparation for our last summer hurrah up at the cabin next week.  All good things.

I'm really trying to savor these last weeks of summer, for as much as I love fall it can be a tricky time of year.  There is always so much CHANGE in fall.  In schedules, in rhythm, in weather.  I realize this year that school and activity changes are what really fuel that tricky fire and I've been anxious about it for some time now, but focusing on all the good and growth it's going to bring for us all has helped immensely.  I'm ready and excited.

It helps so much to have the girls in programs I'm ecstatic about.  Louise will be away from me for the first time two small mornings a week, cared for by Miss Sheila herself at the cute park district schoolhouse just up the road from us.  I attended her orientation last night and all the admins remembered me, asked after Ainsley, were delighted that little Louise would be joining them this fall. So strange and wonderful to be a veteran this year.

And Ainsley?  Well, we all know how much I hoped and yearned after Pilgrim and she's in and so excited.  Every farmer's market Saturday we wave hello to her school and she's already planning out her first day outfit and packing her backpack (she's like her mama that way, always prepared).

And me?  Why, I'm already salivating over the brief free time.  At first perhaps just to linger outside playschool, out of sight but close.  Then I may just go for a jogging stroller free run in the MIDDLE of the day.  Perhaps I'll meet other child-free friends for coffee. Perhaps I'll bring my knitting and a homemade latte and sit in the sun on a  bench, quietly.  Ah.

It is in these preparations for life that I find so much simple joy.  In the stacking of clean summer duds for lake fun, in the scheming of my little one's second birthday (eggs and elephants it is this year, her two favorites in the whole world), in the easy pattern and yarn choices for fall sweaters for the the girls and me (yes me, it's time I have my own new handmade sweater), in the stocking of the freezer for my boy (because one can only live off of cereal and hamburgers for so long).

This morning I am thankful for this quiet house.  For STRONG french press coffee (whoops!) and clouds and rain.  I am thankful for the steady comforting work of home, for my sweet helpful girls, my hardworking boy, and that I'm here, enjoying it all.

A happy Wednesday to you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.