Saturday, August 11, 2012

Tiny Treasures

Summer has turned into a bit of a treasure hunt around here.  It's been incredible.

After the start of sale season and the BIG find, things tapered a bit.  We had no real need for much.  I felt set with most gifts needed immeditately and the girls are swimming in summer clothes.

Then the annual book fair commenced and well, we just can't pass that up.

We went with both girls in tow, a feat in itself.  But our little bookworms made theselves right at home amongst the overflowing boxes and excited patrons.  We left when the girls had had enough, got ice cream and came home.  But I was just getting started.  I couldn't NOT go back knowing all the treasures that still had to be found.  So I left the girls with Ian and did a little late night scouring.  Oh boy.

I found so many amazing paperbacks, which I actually prefer to hardback in most cases, those little house ones are the new favorites


Elisa Kleven treasures, far and away my favorite illustrator and on the top of my children's author list, I was THRILLED with these finds, especially that hardback of the Paper Princess, Ainsley spilled water on her copy and it was rather devastating.  Her book B is for Bethlehem is my FAVORITE Christmas book.  Check her out.


Helme Heine, Mem Fox, Roxaboxen, Grandfather Twilight and Mary Ann Hoberman.  Hoberman's beautifully rhymed books are some of our new favorites.  Her book The Seven Silly Eaters is high on  Ainsley's birthday list.


books for Ainsley, three Angelina's, two Jesse Bear's and Dance, Tanya


Holiday reading finds...Bear Noel and Room on the Broom are the BEST!  Oh, and the Jolly Christmas postman too.


Some scores for Louise's birthday, we have the Little Duck book and it's one of her favorites.


I put one bag of books right on the shelves and saved the rest for gifts.  I can't wait!

This week I also did a bit of traditional birthday shopping.  After our wonderful afternoon at the beach in Winnetka my Aunt drove me by the cute local toy store and I lept out to browse while the girls snoozed in the back.  I am so excited about what I found for Louise!

Funshine, a cooperative game I've never heard  of but it looks wonderful and games are her favorites! Puzzles too so I got a jumbo floor puzzle of the earth by Mud Puppy, they make wonderful toys, and of course some new blocks, these ones are to enhance all that train town play that goes on in our house.  Very very exciting.


So after all this bounty and the thrill of the find I was ready to be done, a bit tuckered to be honest.  Then, when packing for Minnesota yesterday I decided to have Ainsley try on all her long sleeves and pants to see what still fit for winter.  Um, NOTHING! save for two pairs of pants.  NOTHING!!!! I nervously chuckled "oh boy Ainsley, we're in big trouble."  She of course was thrilled.  "I'm growing so big mama! I'm SO BIG!!!!!"  Oh goodness yes, but now what?  So we spent the next hour scouring the basement for fabric for new pants for Ainsley.  While the girls napped I made her two new pairs out of old yoga pants of mine.  Then this morning I rushed down the block to hit a big block sale and stumbled upon a woman getting rid of boxes and boxes of her daughters' 4T clothes.  Two bags and $8 later my girl is stocked for fall.  Ah, the beauty of treasure hunting.

while the footie jammies, fun shirts and leggings were much appreciated she hasn't taken this 25 cent dress off all day.  I had to.  I knew it had Ainsley written all over it. (we'd just gotten back from the pool and she was playing her preschool game on the ipad, clearly miffed mom wanted a photo, ah my girl)


Perhaps it's a good thing sale season is winding down.  This treasure hunting is a bit addicting.  Any great finds of yours this summer?  Happy hunting!


No comments:

Post a Comment

i LOOOOOVE comments. Seriously. They make my lonely stay at home mama day.